Hot to Neutral

This is a new construction 4800 SCF home on the water. I think the subs might have been upset with the builder.

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0001.JPG

Looks like a breaker test to me.
Are you sure this wasn’t just a redneck “lock out tag out” method?
What was on the other end of that circuit?

Wtf?

(What’s This For) :twisted:

All I can say is…dangerous…why on earth would someone run the ungrounded conductor to the grounded terminal buss…sad what is being done out there…primary reason WHY educators spend so much time trying to educate.

Things like this is sad…thank goodness for well trained HI’s who upon routine inspection find these things…

There is a process when working on higher voltage, large switchgear known as “hanging mac’s” or simply “grounding the gear”. When switchgear is de-energized, you purposely take big welding type cables with bronze C-clamp type hardware on the end and jumper each phase buss bar to the grounded buss bar. This prevents injury to the person servicing the gear if someone accidentally turns on whatever to re-energize the equipment. It’s a personal safety thing when working on large equipment that must be observed.

I don’t know if this the case with the breaker that has both a black conductor and a white conductor that is terminated on the neutral bar. This would permit a person to work on that circuit while preventing someone from energizing the breaker. I have no idea if this is what they were doing or not, but it’s a possibility. That said, the breaker that just has one white wire going right from the breaker to the buss bar is pretty weird. More like horseplay that someone forgot to remove. Maybe the electrical contractor was setting up his job lead man, so that he could see how thoroughly he quality checks his completed work? I know that I’ve purposely “salted” a guy’s work for educational purposes, when job conditions and time permits. So many possibilities.

But horse play that could have gotten someone hurt. This house had a long list of other problems but this one really stood out.