'House as a System' Course

I can’t get past the first page of the course that directs me to this post. Any ideas/help???

You must click on all tags!

Ben

I am looking forward to taking this course.

Thanks

Tom Rawsthorne

Once Again…THANK YOU!!!

what do you mean by “all tags” , I tried that I think and still can’t get past page one.

Okay, what tags do I need to click on to get past the first page?

Nope, not on this one.

i could get past the first page so i just clicked on the next one in the table of contents.

Thanks Ben For the House as a system course. Very informative.

Congratulations! You’ve passed this exam with a final score of 100

I enjoyed that course, the video from weatherization was great, I plan to go through some more of their videos. It would have been nice to be able to expand those slides though, I couldn’t read anything on some of them.

Thanks for the info!

Good Course with lots of good information.

good info

Typo on “More in the Basement: Danger!” page:

1. The “cure” was drywall mesh tape, a good quality duct mastic such as RDC # 6, and a short stick.

The product is RCD #6.

Silly, but an error nontheless.

Thanks

Overall very good.

The inclusion of videos is great.

I agree with Kathleen, however, that some of the pictures are unclear, and zooming doesn’t help. They are still fuzzy.

Thank you for the great information.

I’m ready to get started.

Some good information in this course. I especially enjoyed the first two videos. I have a question about the video on sealing and adding insulation to an existing home. The crew foreman seemed to imply that the blown insulation around the block chimney was a fire hazard. My understanding is that all blown in insulation has to be a fire retardant. Section R316 in the IRC 2006 stipulates such insulation cannot exceed a flame spread index of 25 and a smoke developed index of 450 when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84. Also I believe the “yardsticks” showing the depth of insulation in the attic are required to be no less than 1 every 300sf and with a minimum number height of 1 " and they must be installed facing the attic access opening. (IRC 2006 N1101.4.1) Is this correct?

I just completed this ‘House as a System’ course and thought it was very clear cut and concise in explaining the overall house as one big system interdependent and working together with all other systems within the home to keep it optimally energy efficient. One point that I had trouble grasping was sealed combustion heating unit, which “gets its combustion air from the outside and consequently does nothing to dry the building at all.”
I understand the concept of higher efficiency heating systems causing “weaker draft” throughout the building, but how that reduces its “drying capability”, I don’t quite get it. I guess I am confused with the term ‘drying capability.’ It makes me think of moisture permeating through walls and drying in or out.
Please advise.
David Cook

here we go saving energy!

Considering this statement:

“Remember when evaluating homes with gas ranges or cooktops that gas code requires they be vented to the building exterior through a hard-ducted vent hood. Recirculating models do not satisfy the code requirement. Always consider installing good quality CO detectors in homes with gas appliances.”

I have seen numerous new houses built in my area-Lehigh Valley Pa, with only a microwave oven installed above with a recirculating fan above. Is it possible this many homes were not built to this code? I am going to have to check on that.