Housing Officials Tout Benefits of Styrofoam Homes

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

(September 27, 2004) – U.S. housing officials recently visited Port Charlotte, Fla., which was in the path of Hurricane Charley, to tout the benefits of Styrofoam homes.

Representatives from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the National Association of Home Builders, and the Manufactured Housing Institute say these dwellings are mold- and termite-resistant because they are built in a matter of days and are comprised of polystyrene, cement, and steel.

Styrofoam structures are also wind resistant; homes made of the material in Port Charlotte survived Hurricane Charley's 145-mile-per-hour winds. Styrofoam homes are also fairly inexpensive, priced between $75,000 and $100,000, plus the cost of land.

Source: News-Press (Fla.) (09/24/04); Payne, Melanie

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Nick,

Are you talking about ICF homes?

Originally Posted By: Russell Frame

Chad Fabry wrote:
Nick,

Are you talking about ICF homes?

Could be ICF or SIP, both have marketing points of being stronger than traditional construction.

I've heard horror stories of ICF homes where the foam and concrete seperate and provide a vacant space where mold likes to grow. I spoke with a SIP builder in my area who claimed to know of an ICF that was condemned for mold contamination for this exact reason. I didn't ask him to substantiate his claim at the time but wish I had.