How a 10-Foot Fall Changed One Family's Life

Its also about knowing your own physical limitations. I’m 55 years old, have put on a few too many pounds in the past year and I’ve had surgery on my right knee. I don’t exactly run a 4 second 40.
Some days my knee is stiff and hurts like hell. I’m not going to climb a ladder and take a chance at a tumble when I know better.

Still looking for the jetpack on Amazon.

I’ve been a licensed driver since 1981 and I’ve never been in a collision. I’ve never fallen from a ladder, but I did take a fall from nearly 30 feet as an Ironworker, which was 100% my fault. Ended up with a broken pelvis, broken tail bone, a concussion and a lesson learned. I was fortunate.

I still drive every day and climb every roof possible.

Roofs and ladders is a main reason why I now have a second inspector on site. We always use the 2 man approach when climbing ladders and we always take our time getting up them. If a roof is safe to walk we will walk it. If its not we will drag our ladder clear around and look from eaves. Those of you looking from the ground without a telescope should not be doing inspections. Clients pay us to look at their roof and there is NO WAY you can see the entire roof from the ground. Lots can be missed. PS… I have a telescope as well and rarely use it. They suck for high roofs because they wave around to much and won’t sit still. Plus they are heavy when fully extended and trying to control it and look at your tablet at the same time is a pain in the :slight_smile:

I have been driving vehicles since I was 10 years old and have never had a my fault wreck just barely escaped with my life 3 other times by people that did not know how to drive. In 50 years in the work force I have never fallen from a ladder hell Fat boy had it correct I am part monkey as a kid I have jumped from trees 20 feet to the ground playing tree tag. Don’t think I would play tree tag today though. You guys with your ladders just make me laugh. 5 tablespoons of common sense and 4 tablespoons of skill will keep you safe if you are missing anyone of those items stay on the ground with the women and kids:p:p:p:p:p:p:shock:

I’ve had one what I’ll call, bad experience with a ladder, and it was totally my fault.

Ranch house that was vacant, it was about 0800 and the ground was wet. I set up my ladder but did not have a steep enough angle, as I neared about the 4th or 5th step up my chest was level with the gutter when the ladder slipped out from under me, luckily for me the gutters were in good shape as I was able to grab onto the gutter, grab & stop the ladder from sliding & pull it back up.

My Guardian Angel was definitely looking after me that day.

I doubt I could make the same save today as that was over 10 years ago when I was in better shape.

I now always make sure I have the proper angle for the ladder & never lean my body mass outside of the ladder.

I still climb every roof I can.

Thanks for the post Jim.

We all need reminders on the dangers we face on a daily basis.

After 35 years and never a fall, this year I’ve had 2 different ladder failures (LG and Telescoping). Both left me sore but undamaged.

In the KC area in the past 15 years I’m aware of 5 serious falls that messed someone up bad, 2 left on walkers and 1 dead.

So I’m careful and take the advice of a retired ASHI inspector 75 yrs old … He told me years ago that some roofs he climbed … some he didn’t. If it was tall (if he couldn’t safely access it from the top of his 13’ Little Giant), steep (over 7/12 pitch), old (like a23 yr old wood shingles and real brittle), slippery, wet from snow, rain or dew … he would look from windows, using binoculars OR offer to call either a lift truck or commercial roofer (they very inexpensive … Your clients will typically be out less than $200).

Its worked well for me since about 2003.

Gary, also always remember its usually safe to walk an earth contact roof OR a flat roof if it has inside access OR if it can be accessed with a 3’ step ladder.