How accurate is Zillow in identifying square footage?

I notice that the ISN order form provides a one-click link to Zillow. I’m just wondering how accurate their information is.

No good they have my home with only one bath I have two… What else could be incorrect …Huh?

Roy, you only use one at a time so technically it is corrrect.
:laughing:

David you don’t know how endowed I am… :innocent:

It’s as accurate as the listing agent makes it. The listing agent generally fills out a form everybody else simply copies it. Square footage is often derived from State Property Tax records (Maryland SDAT) rarely includes finished basements or recent bathrooms or un-permitted work.

2 Likes

Not well endowed? Time to lighten up!

It’s a little early to start drifting guys, please.

1 Like

Kenton, I haven’t found Zillow to be particularly accurate. Their sf sometimes doesn’t align with the county tax assessor or with the real estate listing. That’s because someone has to fill in that info, but there is no way for Zillow to check it or confirm it. I consider Zillow to be an estimate at best. If I need to, I double check with other sources. And of course any measuring, no matter how precise, is still not totally accurate, due to variations in how the measuring is done

1 Like

Where I live the agents constantly exaggerate square footage on Zillow and never mention HOA or POA fees. I always check with the county assessors office for square footage. I reference my source on my reports.

1 Like

In key west the agents include the porches in the sq ft! If they are covered , anyway list your source of discovery to cover your back

1 Like

That is why when I note the square footage in my reports, I note the source.

2 Likes

Zillow is zero percent accurate.

It is an automated web data aggregator, and the courts have ruled data aggregators (Zillow) have zero liability for the information they post.

It indexes, as previously mentioned, county records, MLS information, etc. and provides what is a

Guess(Zes)timate

Zillow may use an AI square footage calculator from say Google Maps, or even have their own, but (NM) Realtors used to be legally liable for the measurements - they kind of want to get it right. (NM county) Assessors get decent training on the correct procedures, though they have an insanely high case load of measurements per year.

It is a constant source of aggravation to Realtors to explain this (and more) warped situation to potential clients, who believe that because it is on the web, it must be true.

2 Likes

I had a house once that felt smaller than the 3300 ft² that was on the Zillow page. I measured it for the customer and found that it was actually only 2800 ft². They must have been including the garage (sneaky bastids). Customer gave me a $50 tip. That makes a big difference in price per square ft.

3 Likes

Luckily down here my county property appraiser & both adjacent to the north & south show total & under air sq footage. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The county property appraiser here rounds all dimensions to the nearest foot. If you round to the nearest 3", you’ll be more accurate with the actual area. Now, if you round to the nearest inch, you’ll be even more accurate. :grinning:

1 Like

Zillow is as accurate as the agent that posted it. :-1:

2 Likes