How do u all do this!

So I’m 18 and ofc trying to get my Florida license, barely on 4/20 online courses but, I’m watching this videos of others inspecting and evaluating a house and i have no idea how do yall remember all the words and complex stuff that every single inspection takes, and to be honest it scary that i might not be good enough and do a sh*tty job on my first inspection.

1 Like

This why is you often see veteran inspectors like myself constantly harping on newbies needing to learn the information, not just memorize what you think will be on the exam so you can pass.
Understanding how something works is extremely important to observe and discover issues.

It absolutely is, and we have all been there!
Know this going in… you will make mistakes, you will miss things, you will, you will, you will!!
The key is to be as best prepared as you can.
Take more photos than you will ever think you need, including one close-up and one overview from further back showing the area of the defect, of all the more complex defects. These photos will help you get assistance on this MB when (not IF) you need help!
ALWAYS looks for writing/printing on anything you come across that you don’t know what it is. More often than not, that itself will hint as to what the item is. Again, a clean photo of the writing will help us to research to help you. Remember, Google is usually your friend!!
Good Luck.

14 Likes

thx for the info I’m still trying my best and ik that fresh out of high school with a lot of discipline and work I can manage to achieve this license and become a good home inspector, but still I really appreciate the tips, if u thing there is anything else I might need to know don’t let back and let me know.
thanks.

2 Likes

Welcome Kevyn,
You don’t want to be diving in head-first as there is no water in the pool for you at this point.

IMO one of the smartest things you can do to start your career as a home inspector is to join InterNACHI and start taking courses, as a member, you can take as many as you like as many times as you like. So, start taking the courses and take them over and over until you know the material and know, and more importantly, understand the subject at hand.

This is just for starters as there are many other hoops to jump through before you perform your first inspection for a fee.

And you never know, you may get through a few courses and decide this isn’t for you.

The worst thing you can do is to start inspecting what is for many, their largest investment, before you thoroughly know what you’re doing.

Best of luck and feel free to chime in and ask questions anytime.

8 Likes

I appreciate the tips, I’m already a member and I’m doing the 20 online courses to get my license, it is a good idea to redo the courses to get a better understanding of the material ill try that as soon as i can, and maybe you are right and this may not be for me but I think I’m still pretty young and if its not for me ill still have time to change professions, for now I am liking the understanding of the job and my family also revolves around realtors and general construction so I think ill like it,

1 Like

Welcome Kevyn!

You will come along with understanding the materials if you take your time in your learning process. Don’t be too eager and rush things. Download all the course PDFs so you have a backup if you need to refresh in certain areas.

Also, be ready to improve your typing vocabulary since you will be working with clients and professionals. Communication is far more advanced than, say, texting with your friends. :wink:

Good luck and remember, there are never any “dumb” questions during the learning process and you will always be learning in this profession.

9 Likes

I would add go to a Residential construction site (with permission) and take look at what it looks like while its being built.

Some of what you will see is intuitive. Pay attention to where water will go for instance, roofing ,plumbing, grading wise, water flows down hill where will it end up? Just one example.

Take a look at how things run through the home wiring, plumbing etc. What kind of materials are being used and why. Ask questions.

A really good start might be to try a trade out and see if it something you might like, who knows.

James

2 Likes

Welcome aboard Kevyn, not only is there a ton of information in the classes. There is a ton of information on a wide variety of topics archived on this message board too. Onsite training and live classes are also available from several sources. You may be able to find another inspector to allow you to “ride along” as well. I would certainly advise having another income until you feel comfortable performing a paid inspection. That’s one great thing about this profession, the learning never stops. Good luck!

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!!

Good luck Kevyn, already some great advice given.

3 Likes

Better yet, get a job as a carpenters helper for a year or so, you will see how all the trades work together to build homes.

15 Likes

Welcome aboard and good luck, Kevyn! You’ve received a lot of great advice above, from some of the best in the business. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Can’t emphasize this enough. Until you see a house in pieces, it’s hard to envision how it’s all put together.

You definitely need to ride along with someone who has experience in all of it as well.

At your age, while I had a lot of mechanical skills, I didn’t understand how systems worked so much. I could tear apart a small block and re-assemble it, but get me near an electrical panel! Yikes.

Good luck!

7 Likes

IMO you’re trying to start at the top instead of working your way up from the bottom. And that can be very very difficult in any profession.

7 Likes

Probably the best way to “work” your way into this profession would be to get hired by an inspection company and work your way up the ranks.

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, go buy a few college rule composition books so you can take hand written notes. Simply watching videos won’t help you retain much. Same goes for reading. Write it down. Not only will this help you to remember things, it will give you your own personal research library. After taking 20 online classes, there WILL be things you won’t remember. Think back to say 2nd grade. Do remember every single lesson you got at school?? Lord knows I don’t. :upside_down_face: Writing things down and learning to take good notes can help you with writing narratives also since that is a big portion of the job…

As @jjonas said, GooGoo can be your friend, but don’t rely on it 100%.

Will you make mistakes? Yes, yes you will. It’s a fact of life. Everyone has been there and done that when they started out in something new. Like everything else it takes time and repetition. When you were first taught how to count, did you have it down pat in an hour? :wink: There will be that feeling of doubt in the back of your mind along with that little voice asking if you forgot something for quite some time. Don’t let it consume you. Instead flip the script and use that self doubt to be the driving force to make you the best at what you do.

There is a ton of excellent advice already posted on this thread, and on many others on this MB for that matter. There are a ton of things that have been covered on this MB that you will not learn in any class also. Keep getting after it, and you will be where you want to be in time. BTW, stay away from the social media platforms if you have questions or have a hard time understanding something…

Good Luck!!!

10 Likes

I suggest you learn as much about house construction as you can. Search YouTube for Matt Risinger and educate yourself. It helps to know what is behind the walls. Doctors learn the human anatomy as part of their basic training. From there they learn common problems with parts of the body and eventually how to prescribe a cure. Home inspectors need to start with the basic of how a house is built and the function of all the components. Just remember the bulk of home damage is associated with water getting in some place it shouldn’t be.

7 Likes

Great advice above. I will add, if you can find an experienced inspector to let you ride along and watch a home inspection on an actual job, you will learn a lot about how to inspect a home and apply the lessons from your course work.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tips, and I have seen a lot of new words as well as a way more professional language being used, hopefully with time I get the hang of it.

1 Like

Hey thanks a lot really good advice, I have heard of righting down stuff as it helps remember better, and that’s something I’ve always had kinda issues with, when it comes to remembering stuff it kinda just leaves my mind after the test, maybe writing them down would help a lot, also I feel like sometimes I depend on google when I don’t know the answer and I also don’t wana fail the exam, I’ll give it a try and see if it helps.

1 Like

I am a new inspector too. I just got licensed and I (like you) feel like I don’t know enough to be proficient at the job. I am riding along with inspectors in my area. Asking to carry their tools and help in whatever way I can and learn. I think InterNACHI even has a program for this. For me…I got licensed in my state, and now I’m just shadowing people for free to learn how they do things. If you like it, you’ll learn and be great. The saying is that it takes 10,000 hours to master something. Probably the same with home inspections. I’ve done 5 inspections on my own now. I know nothing and beat myself up on my mistakes every time, but just get better with every inspection and reach out to your contacts. And most importantly, have fun and show loyalty to the home and your clients

6 Likes