How do you deal with different standards in different cities?

Barring state requirements, it’s an inspection for system and major component defects and safety issues. reference code at your peril.

Cameron …

Although YOU sometimes use codes OR SoP’s in formulating your thoughts in writing a report, YOU or I are not the code inspector AND have no authority to make anybody do anything. In my area around Kansas City there are literally a hundred things REQUIRED by codes that NEVER get enforced OR called out by the code guys. Examples of that are: weep holes or rope wicks in brick walls. We see them on commercial bldgs here BUT almost NEVER on a house. A 2nd example is the bath fans venting into the attics.

I know the code book requires these things, but I also know local code guys don’t enforce there presence. SO, do I not call them … Nope, I still call everyone AND if a client would question me like you said your guy did, I’d simply explain this to him, then ignore him and move on. Like Russel Ray said about counties … In the KC metro and surounding areas I have 7 counties and 81 cities or towns I inspect in AND I would not even worry 1 minute over trying to track who uses what code, etc UNLESS maybe on a brand spanking newly being built house.

**Final thought: **The house is 35 years old AND was in the county when built. There were no code requirement / inspections / enforcement back then. Its now in the city. House is on 1.5 acres with no fence around the pool in back yard. IF you write that a fence is required, and client asks the local AHJ they would tell him it was NOT required … It’s “GRANDFATHERED”. I have little concern of what an AHJ might have approved in the past. Its a safety concern and will be written as such.

Try to imagine a 5 year old neighbor kid wandering across that unfenced back yard, falling in that pool and drowning. Now try to imagine standing in a courtroom in front of 12 mommies, daddies, grandparents, etc AND explaining that the reason you did NOT write something like that up is cause the AHJ said its GRANDFATHERED. TELL me how far you think that’s gonna fly.

Much of what we do is in the opinion business. AFTER 35 years I’ve discovered that MY opinion is MINE and its never wrong BECAUSE its my opinion. The AHJ’s, the sellers, the REA’s may be different from mine … Who Cares.