How do you inspect hardwired connected detectors?

But you’re not insured for whatever happens… because your complimentary service is “free”.

Or the belt clip didn’t get screwed on properly in the Chinese sweatshop. So Bubba bounces it off Wifey’s noggin when he gets halfway up the ladder to size up the gutters. :crazy_face:

So, you are installing ALARMS on homes that your clients do not yet own? BS!

5 Likes

All work is done with the owner’s approval.

You’re still doing the work “free”. Don’t follow his false rationalization, all you younger inspectors. Ask your GL/E&O insurer. Follow their advice.

1 Like

I have no contact with the owner. Much less an opportunity for them to sign off on repairs they did not request.

In fact, if an inspector wanted to replace my smokes, I would consider them nuts and decline on that basis alone.

6 Likes

Again… BS!!

For the record… IMO, your narcissistic postings, (in hopes of gaining newie inspector approval for next years MOY voting), has been increasingly getting worse and worse and is only bringing potential harm to newer inspectors and their clients.
Me’thinks you need to back off and take a break from posting for a while!

2 Likes

So if the home has five or six, or more smoke alarms, and all them were originally installed at the same time, and one of them has a bad battery, do you just replace that 1 alarm? Or do you replace all of them?

You noticed that too. Creates a number of BS posts to get the replies.

2 Likes

You can’t win an argument so you attack a person’s character?

It’s sad you think there has to be “a winner” in a ‘discussion’. That statement says way more about you than it does about me.

1 Like

Figures someone from Communist California would start a thread to suggest Nick put smoke alarm testing in the SOP (another thread, same MO). Communist California believes if “we” do it everybody should.

6 Likes

You’re right, you can’t win a “discussion”. But that isn’t the word I used. When someone refuses to see someone else’s point of view and resort’s to name calling and character attacks, that’s usually when the argument starts.

So, I kid because it almost sounds contradictory and I like pretending i’m a lawyer in my spare time, but at the end of the day I think most of the SOP’s actually protect the inspector against unreasonable expectations the client might have. For example:

I don’t take ceiling height into consideration when pricing reports. In fancy houses with really high ceilings everywhere, it would take me forever to carry my ladder around and set it up at 20+ different interior locations to get a close eye on every component that’s out of reach. I do do that in some cases, but I think its a good thing that i’m not obligated to.

1 Like

The trick there is zoom on your camera… Even your phone has a good zoom function nowadays. It works both ways, when I have a really small electronic component I’m trying to read the part number of - I take a picture with my phone and then blow it up. Macro function of your camera is important for taking photos of serial numbers and anything you want to examine more closely later during your home inspection.

Zoom and Macro are two important functions of your camera to learn completely.

3 Likes

True. Drones come in handy for inspecting second floor exterior windows in one fell swoop, also.

2 Likes