How does bonding insure proper grounding?

Bonding can fool you into thinking something is grounded when it’s not because everythign can be properly bonded without anything being grounded. This question in the pool of 2100 sample questions is confusing.

Practice Questions - InterNACHI®

This other question shows that grounding and bonding are not the same so how can bonding ensure grounding?

1 Like

Evening, David.
Hope this post finds you well.

Think of this next time you want to refer to bonding.
( Bonding is ‘the connection of non-current-carrying conductive elements’, like enclosures and structures. Grounding is the attachment of bonded systems to the earth. ‘Both are necessary’ to safeguard people and property from electric hazards.

1 Like

'Proper Bonding" is the only logical answer of the four choices. Is that from the NHIE?

1 Like

@ryoung7 I am thinking of this. That’s why the practice question from InterNACHI is confusing. It suggests that bonding ensures proper grounding which is not true.

@ccurrins Yes, I agree it is the best of the wrong answers but it’s still a wrong anser and it shouldn’t be there. It’s just wrong as far as I can tell.

No. It does not fool me. Never has. The 2 are different. Article 250 of the National Electrical Code .
Grounding ‘property achieved,’ allows a safe way to discharge excess electricity.
Bonding is a connection pathway of non-current-carrying conductive elements like enclosures. Grounding is the attachment of bonded systems to the earth.

I’m saying that the question/answer is wrong to say “bonding ensures proper grounding.” Some might think they are grounded because they are bonded and even if they are properly grounded they would be fooled to think it was ensured by bonding. I can’t tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my position.