Originally Posted By: rfarruggia
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.
Just in case anyone still thinks this Home Inspection stuff is all fun and games, I’m going to share my Thanksgiving day experience.
On Tuesday morning, I get a call from a Realtor that Ive never worked with before, she needs an inspection Wednesday for a property she's buying for herself. Just a little 2 bed condo. She says all the right things...other agents at her office told her that I'm a nitpicker, she only wants the best for herself, etc, etc, she's really stroking the old ego. What the hell, I say, I could always use a another realtor, I can squeeze it in at 3:00 pm.
An easy inspection, mostly nickle and dime stuff. I get my check and still have time to pick up the canned cranberry sauce and some linzer torts for the wee ones. And peace and harmony resounded across the land.
Ahhh, not so fast. Jump forward to T-day morn, me about to set out on a relaxing day of report writing amd periodically chasing the offspring around the livingroom. The phone wont stop ringing, and, against my better judgement, I pick it up. You guessed it, the condo owner calls (quite pissed, mind you) and somehow equates the lack of heat in his home with my recent visit. Yep, big feast planned, wife very pregnant,(oh, and did I mention that he's a cop?) and no heat on this 25 degree morning.
I drag my sorry a$% out there and using all my finely attuned senses, concur with the layman's diagnosis of no heat. Hmm, it worked just swell when I was here yesterday, I say. I show him my field notes that say "Boiler works just swell". He's not buying it. I take off the boiler cover and stare inside, waiting for the boiler genie to appear and tell me what to do. Alas, once again the boiler genie fails to appear.
What ho! I exclaim, I found the problem, I'll have you warm and toasty in a jiffy!
It seems that I didn't put the heat sheild back on snugly after eyeballing the underside, and a wayward flame torched the line from the Aquastat to the Thermocouple gas valve. No sweat, I whip out a length of thermostat wire I've got in the back of the vehicle (be prepared, I always say), replace the crispy bits and........nothing.
Well about two hours later, and the flashlight fading, through a process of elimination, I finally figure out that the melted wire must have wasted the low voltage transformer in the Aquastat. But its a holiday, and those cursed lazy bastards at the plumbing supply take this, of all days, to spend some q. time with the families, with absolutley no regard fot a desperate customer.
As dinner time nears, I feel as if the resident (did I mention that hes a cop and has ready access to weponry?) is getting a bit peeved. So I dash home and peer into the big box of crap that sits in the corner of the garage. Paydirt, I find one that looks about the right size. But it is unmarked, not sure of its voltage and it has no wires attached. In desperation, out comes the torch and I solder some more of the thermostat wire in various places, tape the thing (no s#!t, I really used duct tape for this) to the existing Aquastat cover and hook it up.
And manna from heaven, it worked.
But I cant leave it like that, so this morning, I drop $350 for a new Aquastat, and spend another hour and a half putting that in.
So I leave a quick condo inspection minus a C-note and about 8 hours later. And I missed the turkey. But look at the bright side...I get to do this again tomorrow.