How Long Do You Take to Inspect a Condo?

Linas,

From the Texas mandated SOP.

Texas Inspectors are required to inspect dishwashers. A normal dishwasher cycle from the time it starts until the time the heat dry function completes is from 1.5 - 2 hours. If the Texas Inspector does not test the dishwasher, or does not operate it in a normal range with typical settings they must either have and report a valid reason why it was not done or have already received the client’s approval not to test the dishwasher in a normal mode.

I use this example since most all homes, including condos, have dishwashers. So unless the Texas Inspector wants to receive a minimum Administrative penalty of $500 - $3000 per day, per incident, they will be on site at a condo for at least 1.5 - 2 hours at a minimum.

You are obviously not bound by that SOP but Texas Inspectors are. You obviously feel that testing the dishwasher’s complete functionality can be tested using some simple 2 or 3 minute test protocol which is not a reality. However before you make assertions that a 1000 Sq. Ft. condo can be inspected in an hour or less you should take into consideration that some Inspectors are held to a higher standard that others! Making claims such as this in the public section of the BB only leads unsuspecting and uninformed consumers with the wrong information and impressions.

Also as noted above by Kevin and others they are apparently using a more stringent/thorough inspection protocol that does take more than an hour for a small condo.

I’ve tested over 3,000 dishwashers using my simple protocol and have not had 1 issue or call from a client regarding a dishwasher not functioning when they closed the deal.
As you said, other state protocols/SOP are different.

One hour. I’ve only had one client who was a physician cause the inspection to take 2hrs because he was late and didn’t want us to start until he got there. Once he finally showed up he wanted to know everything about the condo, appliances, etc. He spent most of the time researching the microwave on his tablet.

Average 1000ft2 2bed 2bath condo: furnace/AC combo, HWT, Elect.Panel, Jetted bathtub, balcony. One hour. No fuss. No muss. I get $225 and the report takes less than an hour if I input the details into the report the night before. Easy money.

And here a condo is a condo, a townhome is a townhomeetc. We don’t call them condos just because you have to pay HOA fees. A condo here is an overpriced apartment. No roof, no attic. I believe this is what Linus was referring to when he wrote the original post?

Most condo buildings in this area are small, around 4-6 units, no high risers. If on top floor I’ll inspect the attic (if accessible), if on first floor I’ll inspect the basement (if it has one). These areas can impact living conditions inside the condo. I also walk around the exterior to check for siding, roof, window, walkway conditions. I also inspect garages, attached and detached. I usually charge around $275 and it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

As you can see Steve, most seasoned inspectors take 1-1 1/2 hours to conduct a condo inspection.
If it takes longer you’re in Texas, a new home inspector or just don’t know what you’re doing.

Whats the motivation for this entire thread ?

LOL must be nice to have time as I am booked up till next week already.
Chicago is rockin with tons of work right now.

Who cares what anyone else does ?

I think it hit a nerve and you care Bob.
When did Chicago work slow down? It’s been rockin’ for several years now.

First you need to assume anyone cares what you think about other inspectors or their methods.
Perhaps someone hit your nerve .
Are you a fee paying client ?

Looking for advice ?

It’s obvious you’re upset.
You’ll get over it Bob.
This isn’t all about you, the newbies take forever on an inspection until they become knowledgeable.

LOL…damn near tears over here.:frowning:

I would never tell a newer guy to rush and risk missing anything.

It normally takes me an hour for a condo or a small townhouse with slab on grade.

When I was first starting out, I made the mistake of getting on the roof of a HOA building. They did not take to kindly to it. Only inspect what the client is responsible for.

The air conditioners, gas meters, and meter sockets/service disconnect are not labeled at just about every condo or townhouse that I have inspected. It is one of the things that I always report.

I know what you mean, but I die laughing when agents and clients tell me about seasoned inspectors that take 3 hours for a 1 bedroom condo inspection.
Something ain’t right.
Maybe they haven’t figured out how to use their software yet.:stuck_out_tongue:

I am a newbie here Bob, reading through these forum discussions with a purpose. I just passed my Radon Measurement exam this morning and establishing a new Home Inspection LLC business with all my savings tomorrow. I am very grateful for the wealth of experience shared and what it might contribute to me being a great HI. And then B Elliot pops in on these discussions, the knowledge stops, post after post of personal emotional rants, an additional page or two that I have to sift through in order to get back to the veterans who are trying to give back.
Whats interesting, for someone who isn’t interested in other people’s opinions, who has too many bookings to be on this forum… 33,368 posts… seriously Bob?! Thirty three thousand emotionally fueled critiques…

Thirty… Three…THOUSAND…!!!

Stop looking from the outside in and criticizing. Share some insight on the topic at hand or leave it alone. Please.

You seem like a Dum Dum to waste time searching out a thread to insult me .Must be one of anal focused Linas’s buddies.
Spend more time learning Dum Dum.
Save your cash and get a website or something as we have no idea where you are or which McDonalds you work at Dum Dum…

You a real Home Inspector or just trolling ?