How long does an inspection take?

Spending 8.5 man hours on an inspection IMO is way too long. I do everything that you (except CO). I also check every window, door, outlet, work appliances,etc. Almost every client that I’ve had has commented on how through the inspection was. Most homes I’m there between 2 - 2.5 hrs (unless it’s large or in really bad shape). Report is done later off site. I would think that not only realtors, but most buyers don’t want to be there for 4.5 hours either. I’m sure the sellers don’t want to be displaced for 4.5 hours. I’d be interested to see a copy of the report you provide.
Also speed is a factor. I do the same thing every house. Never a variation that helps a lot. I haven’t starting using mobile reporting yet. Pictures and notes of items I need to discuss at the final walk through. I move quickly and efficiently through a house.
If client is with me, we are talking on the go. Unless we are stopped at a system and a question comes up. I’m not rude by any means and am very personable, but I don’t stray off topic to much while onsite.

I looked over one of your sample reports. Please look over mine. Your welcome to call me any evening and I will be glad to work with you. Maybe together we can improve our product.

How much do you chat with clients? I would guess thats where all your time goes. Drive down to Indiana and Ill let you watch how we do it.

I did a 3600sf house this morning with my son checking the windows, doors and outlets, the inspection took us 2 hours and 15 minutes only because the client was shadowing us and had a lot of questions he wanted answered. Had we been there alone or if the clients were walking around looking at other parts of the house on their own we would have been done in 1 1/2 hours.

I do make it a habit of telling the clients that they will receive their report later than they actually will

I am not sure what you would be doing in 4 hours on a 2500 sq ft home that was in good shape, or new construction. I would wonder even more on an empty place. And if you are teaming? Put the magnifying glass away. Most issues don’t take a great deal of time to identify and log in the phone. Sure, there are going to be things that surprise you and take more time. But when you are dialed in and moving in an efficient manner, you should be able to get out in good time and do a great job. Not putting anyone down, I just think it is doable. Certainly, if you always want to take 4 hours and that is your thing, great!. But I get tired of guys saying that if something takes less time, it wasn’t done right. I am not sure what that statement is based upon. I hear a lot of feedback about my colleagues stopping and telling stories and jokes and wasting time and it costs them work. They literally stop and visit and it pisses people off. I do that as well (talk and share a story), but you better have your dancing shoes on and be ready to go in circles and change direction a lot while we are doing it. I don’t stand still and I have a system and I move my arce. Time is money. But I can walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. A few of my colleagues apparently can’t and it is costing them work. I pay attention to that feedback.

Well said and right on!

Rob,

Last time I was in Indiana, I had to buy warm beer in the store and none on Sundays. I said to myself, what kinda crazy are these people! All the best!

I know one thing for sure, even the inspectors that STINK think they are GREAT inspectors. After a friends sister hired an inspector who could not tell everyone how great he was, my partner showed up when he was getting out of the crawl space. He said its all good down there. After a few months the heat was not working well, we went into the crawlspace to see why. Several of the ducts were NOT ATTACHED, and they were NOT in some crazy impossible place to get at. We found a MAJOR crack in the foundation and a plumbing problem of unsupported pipes. About 2 months after the inspection the roof leaked and the roof showed her places where the flashing was MISSING and not like it walked away in 2 months. This inspectors as a MASTER ASHI inspector recommended by the realtor…I am not saying we should not get faster and find ways to improve, but I think to many inspectors have gotten lazy and they still think they are GREAT inspectors.

Varies on size and condition, 2-4 typically.

Possible, But I also think some of it has to do with an inspectors interpretation of what attic and crawl space they need to enter regarding the standard of practice. Same goes for walking every roof. I couldn’t do that if I wanted to. We have slate roofs here, metal roofs here and significant ice and snow. How often do you read in these threads about access and disclaiming? There in lies the gray area and we can indeed live in it with our agreements. It is clear that guys do that, right, wrong or indifferent. So, who is to say it was right or wrong> It is right if nothing happens. An inspector is always wrong (seemingly) when something does. It is a tough place to be.

Here is a video of Jimmy K doing an inspection in live time: http://www.nachi.org/home-inspection-training-video-jim-krumm.htm

Very good video Nick.

Jeff, We do not see many roofs other than asphalt shingles. Its just normal for the area. We walk every roof we can with out doing damage to a roof or getting killed in the process. Same with the attic, if you cant you cant. BUT I know that MANY inspectors just as a NORMAL do NOT enter the attic. How good an inspection is that? I have found broken rafters in places that they could NOT be seen from the entrance. I have found ROT and MOLD in places you could NOT see from the crawlspace entrance…Lets face it just because your slow does not mean your going to catch everything, but I know we find more and report it. If you RUN past a house your going to see less than if you walk, no one can argue that.

Tom …

Don’t let realtors throw you off your game. I’ve been doing this 35 years and use 2 inspectors on every full home inspection. We’ve got our routine down pat and I’m just like you. It still takes us about 4 hours to do the average 8,000 - 10,000sf house.

So in my opinion 4 hrs +/- is about a normal time frame for that size house.

And just like you that does NOT include the report which is done off-site.

Dan,

I have found over the years that size only means so much…every house no matter how small has the same systems. Yes a few more bathrooms and a things but it all depends on what is going on. Age of the house, type of covering and how easy is it to get next to the wall and look and see. We also thermal image the house as well. Just when we thought we were done today, we found a wet spot on the family room ceiling. Made the trip to the master bathroom and had a look see again. We were almost out the door and then the questions from the realtor and the home owner…Funny thing was the home owner was more worried about it than the buyers…lol.

Age of home is a big factor in how long the inspection takes.

It is to some degree, I’ve seen homes from the 1880’s renovated to the nines so the only thing left from the 1880’s is the structure and there is precious little of that to see. So it’s little different than inspecting a house built 5 years ago.

For me the most enjoyable inspections are the old ones with an open basement so I can see the framing, pipes, wiring etc.
Did one yesterday from 1920’s, all kinds of fun stuff, asbestos on the boiler pipes, mold, termite damage, structural repairs, defunct knob and tube and an old cast iron boiler that they never bothered to remove that was certainly original to the house.

Much more interesting than another sheetrocked basement. :wink:

I know the old BIG houses we have in Detroit I could spend 8 hours in…Mostly because of just all the things to look at. Did one house where this compressor was running in the basement. I asked what it was and he informed me it was the compressor for the ice box. That was very new to me. The plasterwork is something to see…its a shame you cant find that craftsmanship any more. If you do its NOT the norm.

I find way too much plaster and knob and tube still. I did find a perfectly intact, 1952 kitchen last week. It had the harvest gold and aqua blue colors, metal cabinets and was made by Beauty Rest. The orginal oven was still there and so clean it looked as though it was never used. It still worked. The same house had a bombshelter as well. I have done 3 homes this year that have had them. I go to Ann Arbor once per year. My buddy works at the University and lives in Saline.

Wow Ann Arbor is not fare from us. I take my Daughter to the hands on museum that is there. Its so much fun for her. They even have an Ambulance and I was trying to show her that daddy worked on that truck…at 2 she does not want to see where daddy worked. :frowning: I came across some of the OLD fire glass balls that were like water balloons to put out fires. I asked the home owner if I could buy one from her and he was like TAKE it…what is it…lol…Detroit as home wonderful houses and buildings…its just staying alive to and from the property that is the problem.