How long does it take to inspect a home?

I don’t see how that “average” would help anyone unless you were to explain it further. For example, my average on 350-SF condos (which I thought were small, but I saw a documentary on 212-SF condos in Provincetown, MA) is 45 minutes. My average on 1,500-SF homes is 3 hours. My average on 15,000-SF homes was also 3 hours (I took more inspectors; haven’t done a mansion like that under the aegis of my property consulting company).

Perhaps you meant, “I tell customers that an average home should take 3 hours”?

Oooooooh. A you-you-you guy. You could make a killing here in Southern California! The me-me-me crowd just loves to find you-you-you people who will take care of them.

And I note that your original post was at 7:44 p.m. If I were your inspector, you could have called me and I would have answered the phone to chat with you, even at that hour, even at 2:30 in the morning. But congratulations on knowing how to use your resources to find answers to your questions at all hours of the day, notwithstanding some of the more interesting posts in (seeming) answer to your question.

Incidentally, since I began using a digital voice recorder and taking about 200 pics per inspection, my inspection time dropped significantly (at least 30 minutes for a typical 1500 SF). Turns out I was spending too much time making notes or filling in my report software on site.

Now that I am an individual “property consultant” rather than a multi-inspector inspection company, I’m using a lot more of my tools, including voice records, moisture meters, gas leak detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, etc. As a property consultant, I have greater flexibility to be more helpful than I did as a home inspector.

John

I hope you are using a NACHI CERTIFIED HOME INSPECTOR. ANYONE ELSE IS JUST LOOKING AROUND!!

There’s gotta be one in every crowd!