How Long Should an Inspection Take?

1.5 - 3 hrs depending on the size. Generally it is closer to the 1.5 onsite inspection then about an hour to write and email.

3 is too much for single operator.I tried that in the past and you start getting to where you begin missing information .3 hours each plus if a at home guy need a few hours for each report not counting travel.Do the math.

Yeah yeah…mobile this and mobile that .We are all different .

I’d allow 3 hours for 1800 square feet.

Could take more or less depending on conditions, and what one sees.

Depends on where you are. There is very little Radon here.
State law makes it impossible for a one man ship to do WDO.
Mold isn’t a non-issue, but it’s so dry here, it’s not a major issue like it is in more humid environments. I’ve been in crawls with an active leak and the ground is barely wet because the water is evaporating so fast.

I do pools, but that’s not an upsell per se, that’s a matter of if the house has one or not. :wink:

Not to say I don’t have days where I’ve made $1k in a day (or more), but certainly not every day.

Yeah kinda a tease when you have those big days eh ?
Where does the cash go …

Almost every inspection I perform takes 2.5 hours

Me, too, unless (1) vacant house, nobody there–1.5 hours, or (2) Young couple bring mom and dad, and have lots of questions, and has crawl space and tons of former remodeling done–3.5-4 hours.

Agents have trained you well. ;-):stuck_out_tongue:

Rarely would I take 5 hours. And if I did it would be under special circumstances and many questions by the buyer. I am usually in the 3 to 3.5 hour range with my typical home which is about 2500 sq/ft.

I’m sorry that you rush through your inspections just so you can say you get them done fast.

So in reality you take at least 2.5 hours.

Who cares if the REA is freaking out? I am not there for them. I am there for my client, the buyer.

Does that 1.5 hours include writing the report? If it does I would have to wonder about the process and report.

I take about 2-2.5 hours at the home, been doing a bunch of smaller (1500sq ft) foreclosures lately, those take a bit longer because of all the mess. If it’s not a mess that same 1500 takes about 2 hours, at home I take about 1 hour to write the report, but this week I’m trying out HIP and HomeHubZone to try out some mobile stuff, looking at getting software in the next month or so, having my BEST month ever, just booked 2 more for next week, so far this month I’m at 6, my biggest month had been 4, just started in mid August, so the name’s getting out there. One of my biggest problems has been the lack of inventory on the market… Colorado City/Rye/San Isabel has like 6 listings TOTAL for sale… BUT, I’m picking up in Trinidad, Rocky Ford, and Walsenburg…

Average 1 1/2 - 2 hours on site.That’s me AND an assistant.
If it’s 4000 sq ft 2 1/2 - 3 hours on site depending if it’s vacant, buyer there like a “parrot on my shoulder”, how much there is or is not to write.

Ive found the on site time generally will equal the report time for me. If im onsite 1.5 hours, the report will take me 1.5 hours

Finally, someone that takes as long as me to write reports. I have the same average time as you’re talking about. I don’t get how these guys that claim they can do their reports in 30-45 minutes are doing it unless its a new construction slab on grade of about 1,400 sq ft.

I did a new construction, slab on grade (very rare in my state) last month.

The inspection took an hour, writing the report STILL took a little over an hour.

I just can’t seem to get a report written, pics slotted, and typing my custom comments in less than an hour.

Today’s inspection 1/2 hour to get to the house, 1.5 hours on site, .25, hours to get to my beach boardwalk office, 5 hours to write the report and work on my tan.:roll:

No that is only time on site.
I will not do a report on site. I know some inspectors will, I prefer not to.
I inform my clients before the inspection is scheduled that after the inspection the report will be available within 24 hours.

Did one today. 1400 SF home all remodeled by a flipper.

Got on the roof, full unfinished basement, no attic. Detached garage.
1.5 hours to inspect. 125 pictures
1 hr with the first time home buyer.
1.5 hours for the report done in my office.
Less than an hour travel time.

1 hour is a long time to talk, but first time home owner and a nice single mom.

… and easy on the eyes, im guessing. :slight_smile: