how much training is required?

Originally Posted By: pk richardson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

i would like to hear your opinions, i am interested in starting a part time inspection business here in atlanta. i have passed the nachi entrance exam each time i have taken it, reviewed the online course, have experience in building and remodeling older homes. i have done 5 non paid inspections for friends. have read home inspection books ect. i have not taken a formal course. i talked to a local inspector here who told me i would need to be an ashi member and be code certified in GA.

realators have told me i would need to be “certified”

GA has no state requirements/testing to be a home inspector.

i appreciate any input that you professionals could provide, thanks.

Originally Posted By: tbrowning

Ohio does not require license either, but you cannot beat the support, marketing, information, and benefits of belonging to nachi. plus all the realtors and customers I have talked to ask what qualifies me to do home inspections. once you join you will notice benefits immediately.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Pk,

I am not sure who the inspector was that told you that you have to belong to ASHI to be code certified but they are absolutely wrong.

In order to be code certified you would need to take the code tests for whichever set of reference codes your state follows. Such as the IRC, IBC, ICC, NEC, UBC....etc. You should check with your state to find which set of standards they are currently using and any changes if they plan on using other standards, given the have all condensed into the ICC, except for the NEC.

What ever you do, try to get someone that is unbiased in the information they provide, so you know the truth about what you will need to do, to pursue your career as a home inspector.

If you take a look at the NACHI home page you will find an inspector locator on the top right. Type in your zip code to find any of our inspectors and contact them to ascertain if they are willing to help you, or maybe ever hire you while you learn what you need to learn in order to pursue your new found career.

Watch our for those ASHI inspectors, some of them are so off the wall, all hopes of reality have long since faded. Guess you can tell that I am somewhat ASHI biased! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) In all seriousness though, no matter what asssociation the insepctors belongs too, make sure you are getting good information and sound advice.

BTW...I know many ASHI inspectors, not all of them are off the wall. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hi PK,

Visit this link: www.nachi.org/baileyacademy.htm

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Originally Posted By: Jim Russell

To PK,

Visit www.hihq.com

Jim Russell

Originally Posted By: adeerey

You do not have to join Nachi or Ashi or any group. Although I do recommend you join one of them, and look for content and members that can help you get started. Hint read these boards!

But as for getting started I have found that the best place to start is to do a few inspections with another company. You have to learn the inspection process. If you can build a house, Great I cant! That helps you with the parts and pieces but the reports and comments and system is what you have to learn.

There is a process to inspecting a home, and you defiantly do not want to miss a step

Heck head South for a few days you can ride with either me or one of my guys.

Hope this helped
Aj

--
This signature thing at the bottom is for what real purpose?