How to close a garage door (or how not to).

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Yesterday?s home had a pair of tight fitting aluminum roll-up doors, only one of which was powered. After testing both manually for balance and tracking I decided to close the un-powered one from the outside before reconnecting the other for safety checks.

Today?s tip or technique is only for masochists.

To ensure maximum pain when closing a roll-up door from the exterior insert two fingers into the gap between the first and second sections of the door, created at the curved section of track. Pull down firmly! Your fingertips will now attempt to become extremely thin. Utter your favorite saying at this point (I went with an uninspired ?ouch?) and reverse door after a second or two once you have figured out what the hell you just did. Extract fingers?at which point you are free to hop around in excruciating pain while you ponder your incredible stupidity. Extra bonus is the strange blue coloring and pain anytime you touch anything?even the next day.

Thought I?d share!

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

icon_lol.gif

Are you looking for a key board with padded keys now? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Try working with electricity for a living. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I sometimes feel like "Tim the Tool man" getting blasted.

While troubleshooting a 3 way switch in a commercial building I got a 277 volt shock, I was so Pxxx off I just jumped right in and did the same thing again.

So much for pain teaching an old dog new tricks.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

bbadger wrote:

Are you looking for a key board with padded keys now?

No...It was the middle two fingers. My typing technique, after 50+ years of practice, still only utilizes each index finger and one thumb.

I've never received an electrical shock...and no, I don't want one for Christmas.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: chorne

icon_sad.gif OUCH

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Richard-

It injury hasn’t effected your sense of humor-- great post. Happy Holidays.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: kgraham

You may want to visit www.dasma.com and see technical data sheets #151 and #167 for their recommended procedures to inspect a garage door. Lots of good info.

Ken

Originally Posted By: lewens

I have found that after doing something like that it helps to find the closest wall, because you usually can’t see more than about 2 feet due to the tears running down you face from pain, stand about 18" away from the wall and proceed to bang your head agianst said wall. This action seems to take the pain away from the injured fingers.

Larry

From the great white north eh??

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

off the spool & runners - (did you ever have that sinking oh, $#!^ sensation?) . . .

Fortunately, it was a seasonal occupancy, and there was no 2nd inspection that day. Equally fortunate was the fact that I always carry a tool box.

Does anyone need help re-installing garage door cables? I'm quite qualified now - - -

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Originally Posted By: hjeffrey

Well, there I was, in a really low ceiling basement (maybe that was an oversized crawlspace) and wouldn’t you know - the heating ducts hung below the floor joists. Yes, I knew they were there, even made a mental note but I did manage to crack the noggin a couple of times before finishing the inspection. Brings back fond memories, although short-term ones.

Never fails, either it's a pain in the head or a pain in the backside, these spaces!

--
Respectfully,
Helen Jeffrey
aciss@bellnet.ca
www.aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
1-866-697-0117
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

I’ve never received an electrical shock…and no, I don’t want one for Christmas.[/quote]

oh man, you havn't lived until you've been bitten by at least 120v. you know you got a good one when your "meat and 2 veggies" tingle just a little bit. ![icon_mad.gif](upload://j9pysYkUDeHxjgaVCpqL5B8x4z3.gif)

As some have found it necessary to rekindle my painful memories by reopening this thread?I thought it was time for an update?

One finger has fully recovered, but I still have about 1/8? of deformed fingernail left on the other. I believe in another couple of weeks I will be able to trim that off and then, only about 10 months after the ?incident? (read stupidity), I will finally return to normal*.

*(?Normal? is a strictly personal thing. My version is definitely not recommended for others! ![aiwebs_005.gif](upload://z6bnhr0o6nbe0MnODPmHEbS9LaO.gif) )

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: lewens

Richard

Normal, let’s see, I used to know what normal was. Oh yah that state of mind one acquires upon reaching a level in life that you actually start to believe you have it together, as it were. Then you go out and decide, I think I will become a home inspector. At this point, normal, for all intents and purposes

goes out the window and one begins all over again at square 1. Repeat above ad infinititum.

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: alex medic

I have found that after doing something like that it helps to find the closest wall, because you usually can’t see more than about 2 feet due to the tears running down you face from pain, stand about 18" away from the wall and proceed to bang your head agianst said wall. This action seems to take the pain away from the injured fingers.

www.highspeedsat.com/-satellite-phone-rental/index.htm

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

alex medic wrote:
I have found that after doing something like that it helps to find the closest wall, because you usually can't see more than about 2 feet due to the tears running down you face from pain, stand about 18" away from the wall and proceed to bang your head agianst said wall. This action seems to take the pain away from the injured fingers.
[url]www.highspeedsat.com/satellite-phone-rental/index.htm[/url]

satellite phone rentals? is this a cheap ploy at a commercial???

if so.....PATHETIC ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

P.S. i removed something from your link so it won't work from my post.