How to determine what is SOP components

Hello and good evening…quick question everyone…if the home inspector is not required to turn on, start up, or operate any component according to SOP, then how will the inspector know if the component(s) are operating like it should…?

You will not know if the electrical cabinet is done correctly if you do not open the dead front because it is all rusty and dripping with water…if you are smart.

You will know if it looks in normal condition and you open it.

See the difference?..but, make sure you note why you did not open it, in your report.

The same for everything else…safety first!

4 Likes

Shawn,
I encourage you to read the SOP again. I think you missed some items. Circle back if you have more questions after reading the entire document. I can not answer your question as you stated it because the premise of the question is incorrect.

We open and close doors and windows and cabinets.
We trip GFCI’s and AFCI’s.
We turn on ceiling fans, lights, appliances.
We inspect the heating system, using normal operating controls.
We inspect the cooling system, using normal operating controls.

We inspect

1. the main water supply shut-off valve;
  2. the main fuel supply shut-off valve;
  3. the water heating equipment, including the energy source, venting connections, temperature/pressure-relief (TPR) valves, Watts 210 valves, and seismic bracing;
  4. interior water supply, including all fixtures and faucets, by running the water;
  5. all toilets for proper operation by flushing;
  6. all sinks, tubs and showers for functional drainage;
  7. the drain, waste and vent system; and
  8. drainage sump pumps with accessible floats.

There are many more examples. Yes we do inspect components by operating them. I don’t know who told you that we don’t.

As Larry said, if there is a safety reason or an accessibility limitation, you can use your judgement, and simply explain why a component was not inspected.
Only you can decide how far you go and still feel safe. We all have a different threshold and comfort level with our physical abilities and mental thresholds. You do you.

4 Likes

Some things we do / some things we don’t. Kinda depends on your mood that day.

1 Like

SOP is there as a guide to insure you are safe preforming inspections