How to get started in Canada

If you want to come across as a professional, you may want to write like one. I have seen fifth graders with better writing skills, like it or not it tells a lot about you.

ya that conversational shorthand spelling and the use of phrases really proved that. wasnt tryin 2 get the pulitzer, lol

** “Its not easy to get into the US these days without good paperwork and a valid reason. I travel quite a bit to the US for “company meetings” and then I do some work during my time there. But the US is as fanatical about working in the US illegally as they are terrorists.”**

Unless you walk into the country through the southern border and then you will automatically get sent to the head of the line and screw all the people trying to get into the Excited States ‘legally’!

Thanks 4 letting me know, ya someone said early dont tell them its for work, I’ll remember that. I wonder what is a good thing to tell them, looks like I need more planning, b/c if they keep seeing me coming up there, it will look funny. I guess I can run different crews and it wont be that bad. HMMMM…need my thinking cap. Off topic, but its funny how great they control the Canadian border and not the Mexican interesting. I wonder if Mexico has alot of foreclosures, jk,lol!!! That actually would be interesting what they do, I sound too American.

Hey gluck , what was the “company meetings” about ,what do u really do up there,lol!!!

They do control the Mexican border points. Its the other border areas that are gaps in the controlled access points.

Your questions and statements lead me to believe you are misleading us. Why would anyone in the inspection biz state side want to come up here to work let alone send different crews? Give us a break.

So now you are willing to lie to to border guards to get work. That’s real good. You really need to work on your credibility.

The people on this board are more than helpful to even non-members when it does not appear that we are being scammed. The writing style, the statements you make and the questions you ask all lead me to believe that there is an underlying motive to you coming to the board. Whether it is to sell something or run a scam, it just doesn’t feel right.

The question you still have not answered is: What is the name of your inspection company that you are franchising? Or even the name of your inspection company that YOU perform inspections for? Answer the questions. Give yourself some credibility. Maybe then you will get the answers to your questions.

I have a very different view of the equality of opportunity for Canadians and Americans being able to work in each others countries, it is much easier for Canadians to come here to work than it is for Americans to move North and work, it’s not so bad if you have a job offer in Canada, but to move there and attempt to start a business is much more difficult, you guys have this “No Compete” thing, I could not move to Nelson B.c., which I would love to do, and start a Home Inspection Business IF I were to be in competition with a local Inspection business. Here in North Idaho it’s just the opposite, many Canadian Companies move here to avoid your taxes, and we are much closer than Mexico, and the wages are just a little higher here than in Mexico, and they can use Made in the USA here.

The last I looked the Canadian dollar was .95 U.S., seeing as my retirements are in U.S. $$$$ it’s now too expensive to move there. I may even sell some recreation property I have on Arrow Lake, that I bought when the Canadian dollar was .66 U.S., nearly a 30% profit just on the exchange rate. I love B.C.

Sorry I guess I just might have a little more information on this subject then you do .
I can remember when the Canadian Dollar $1;18 US instead of now $.95 US
My wife had a ceramic Business for years and I was involved in constantly.
I have seen hundreds yes more then 100 teachers come to Canada and teach classes make many many Dollars and go back to the USA and never pay taxes to either country.
Most had motor homes Back when very few people could afford motor homes .
One had his motor home broke into and had closes to $100,000;00 in cash taken .
He would not report it to the police for fear the Tax people might find out about his under the table wages.
I do not know how many homes you have inspected for Canadians but I sure have done a lot for Americans that come to work in Canada for two years and go back to the USA.
I worked many years in Heavy Construction and lots of US companies sent up there people to work in Canada to learn our methods of doing things . Equipment purchased in the USA would send their installers here to install it… You talk about having place in Canada and how it has increased in Value plus the increase in the exchange rate. Our Dollar has not increased in value it is your Dollar that has gone down just compair it to the world currencies I have been told this is because your government is spending more then other countries feel they can afford to .
My son is and example where you are wrong his US wife came to Canada and was able to get a work permit with much less paper work and hoops to jump through the she had to do she was working here much faster.
You talk about having a cottage in Canada , Most Americans I know bring their supplies Boats and furnitures up too their cottages , this is not allowed the other way for most things.
I am not complaining and saying things should be changed not in the least , I except the way things are done and feel we both have great countries and no where else compares in my openion.

You missed my point Roy, if an American is offered a Job in Canada then there is not much problem with him moving there for at least the duration of the Job, to move there on a permantant basis is much different, and it is much easier for Canadians to move south than for us to move North. I can live there but I have to leave for a day or so every 6 months or so.

My point was about starting a business in Canada as an American and becoming a permanant resident. Like I said, I cannot start a Home Inspection Business in Nelson B.C. as an American, if I would be in competition with a Canadian Inspector, but that same Canadian Inspector could move here and compete against me.

There is not as big a problem setting up a business there if there are no competitors in the local area, up there you get the American Teachers, here we get the Canadian Nurses and medical people, along with Canadian manufacturing companies, which is fine with me.

I do remember back in the 70’s when the Canadian dollar was higher than the U.S., we may see than again. Myself I wouldn’t mind seeing the U.S. and Canada convert to the Euro, or establish a single currency for both countries.

I just inspected a house for some Americans who returned to the U.S. because of the exchange rate and taxes, after living in Edmonton for more than 20 years, they are in the same situation as me, retirement in U.S. Dollars makes Cnada expensive now days. Like many of the Northern States there is a very close historical relationship with neighboring States and Provinces across the border.

I live in Kootenai County Idaho, Nelson BC sits on Kootenai Lake. Back in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s people flowed back and forth following the Mining and Logging jobs, many of the old families around here have family on both sides of the Border, here there are more Statues and monuments to David Thompson than there are for Lewis and Clark, if Thompson had been a little faster getting down the Columbia River, we might be Canadian.

Are you going to need a passport next March to visit the U.S.? We’re going to need one, not to enter Canada, but to get back into the U.S. I wonder how many Mexcian Illegals will be required to have one.

No I only have a little acreage, no Cottage, no electricity, and boat access only. We are not allowed to bring many items into Canada, fruits, meat, etc. I’ve been on Canadian Sailboats entering the U.S., they seem to go through much the same restrictions and inspections as I do when entering Canada, your Customs people are usually a lot more friendly though and have been that way since long before 9/11. About the only thing we bring with us when we come to Canada is maybe some soda snacks for the trip, the rest we buy locally, expecially “Old Woodenhead Beer”.

I keep A US$ chequing account so I do not get caught in the Plastic money changers .
I think it is 2.5 % each way.
I agree we all would be better of with one money Could care less what they use or callit . Many do not know it cost money to sell back and forth .
The money changers love it US$ to Canadian$ or Canadian$ to US$ looses value. Products cost more and the money changers make money.
I guess its a wash on who is correct about getting a job.
I think when you get a new Government the Pass port could go away for driving across. Watertown New York Buffalo NY and most other border states do not want or need for a pass post. They are hurting Big time with very few Canadians shopping there with the border restrictions. 10 or more hours are common for trucking getting across and it is the public who have to pay for these hold ups with higher costs.
Mrs Clinton Keeps trying to stir the pot on how many terrorists come from Canada and this is hog wash she keeps telling how many involved in 9/11 came from Canada Wrong .
She is just trying to get votes , Canada and USA are by far each others biggest trading partners and need each other like family…
Yes you are correct for years we have been able to cross and many live with property and homes on the border.

What’s funny is , I didn’t even consider the exchange rate, i looked at http://www.xe.com/ and the exchange is very moderate, not losing/gaining much (with their fluctuation). HMMM…not really sure I’m willing to move, even temporarily, but I have heard its a bit more serene and peaceful there. Does anyone know how the competition looks up there? I’ve looked into this one time, but at the time didnt have the money to even realistically do it, it was just good in concept. I will look up some of the canadian property preservation and inspection companies there tonight and see what I find. But i wonder who the “big guys” are. Like the Safeguard or the MCS here. HMMM more discovery, I will post the companies that I find for future reference. I REALLY appreciate the scoop on Canada, made me think of things didnt think of, plz keep it coming.:eek:
Live rates at 2007.07.19 02:05:34 UTC 1.00 USD

**=**

**1.04544 CAD**

United States Dollars 		  		   		    		  Canada Dollars 		  		   		   		   		  1 USD = 1.04544 CAD 		    		  1 CAD = 0.956534 USD

This I feel is just one of our Canadains Trying another of their Con jobs.
Just like the eight tract tape around it goes any Normal person who wished to get info would give their name and place.

Hmmm, well, for those who are charging 200.00 and strugling, there must be a reason. For those who are charging 450 and doing well must be doing somthing right.

I recieve calls out of the Blue, without marketing to much except for brochures and the free website. I charge 340.00. I guess I need to up my price.

Then I can aford the nice car.

:slight_smile:

I guess it is because People know good value and use you . I saw you where competing against a home inspector in your area that was charging $99:00 and he was satisfied with his fees.
Well I now see he has doubled his price and is starting to get a little closer to what I feel is a sensible price.
. I charge over twice what he charges .
I like the idea of working smart giving good value and making a reasonable living.

. Cookie
</IMG>

Assi,
Come over to Canada. Ignore what they are saying.
YOu can set up a sign on the road we have in Canada. Next year we hope to pave it. Probably have a prison gang do that, if they do not escape again.
Both house we have in Canada need to be inspected once a year.
The President of Canada, (my cousin) (and sister) (and wife) decided it should be inspected.
If you hate your other job, you should be able to bring you bicycle up here, ( we do not have cars yet, just dogsleds)and inspect both houses. The fee for a regular yearly inspection is $35.00 and $30 taxes. ( We think it may be cut to $25 next election, but Raymond Wand as vice President will not allow elections sooner than every ten years. Our National Treasurer Roy Cooke has been trying to get elected as Vice Regent or the Pope of Canda and says he will change that. FAT CHANCE!
So really the only item you would have to worry about operating in Canada is speeding tickets as the new photo Radar is running and every time they take a picture of you they post it on the internet as a nude having sex with Rita McNeal. She has Necrotizing Fasciitis/Myositis and will die of it in about 40 years.

WELCOME TO CANADA…

LMOA :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
Hey dar, you dar, are you frum da vallay up dar.

But I am not Nationally Certified yet. I am not worthy!
Can’t wait for all those jobs that will be coming as a result of National Cert from CREA, the banks, the mortgage companies…

Get certified today, don’t delay, call now. Void were licencing is in force or soon to be…

update: looked into it, and quite frankly can’t find that much info on working as a certified home inspector up there, and the little i have learned isnt that great. but every1 send your congrats i have started as a CERTIFIED home inspector over here. now im not only doing the residential home inspections for preservation companies, and grass cuts, reos etc. lot of details go into those long reports, kind of dig it tho, pays a lot more $$$!!!