How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, and Chimneys Course Student Discussion

This thread is for students currently enrolled in the How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, and Chimneys Course

Students may ask questions, interact with other students, do research within this course thread, and submit their essay assignments.

Get back to the Inspection & Writing Assignment of the course.

To go back to the very beginning of the course

Feel free to click through the posts or jump to the last post.

1 Like

Confused over gas vent clearances. One page states min 1 foot roof clearance up to 6:12 slope. Another page says all metal vents must be min 2 foot clearance. Can someone please clarify? Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Jon,

In case you aren’t getting a direct response in this tread, you may also try reaching out to one of our experts listed on the following page to get answers to your questions: Inspector Support Resources for Students - InterNACHI®

I’ll try it out. Thank you.

I did not see the inspection of electrical fire place, or is not part of the real fire place? What I should do if I meet one?

good morning
just looking at the class this morning to see what’s up

1 Like

Hope you’re enjoying the course, @rhoover4.

I just received an email from a student of the course with a good question. “Hello, I need help with the following question as my online research has provided conflicting responses. In Nova Scotia Canada, can a Coal Furnace and oil furnace (hot water baseboard) share the same chimney? The Oil furnace does have thermostat controls (2 zones, 2 thermostats) however the Coal furnace does not have any thermostat controls. Thank you.”

Good question. And the answer is inside this course at InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors. A solid-fuel-burning fireplace, stove, or heating system must not connect to a chimney venting another fireplace, stove, or heating system. This is prohibited. (Refer to 2021 IRC M1801.12).

A solid fuel-burning appliance or fireplace must not connect to a chimney that serves to vent another appliance. Each solid fuel-burning appliance or fireplace must have its own dedicated independent chimney or vent. Solid-fuel appliances must not share a chimney with any other appliance or fireplace.

Here’s why. Solid fuel-burning appliances produce creosote on the interior flue liners of chimney stacks. Creosote is highly combustible. If there’s a chimney fire, other connections to the chimney could allow the fire to travel out of the chimney and into the building. Chimney passageways can become partially blocked by creosote formation, which can force vent gases from another appliance to exhaust back into the building.

Ben Gromicko,

Thank you for the checkup, I have been working on the course agenda with my regular work schedule. Have been a lot of traveling and some of these classes are pretty intense and working them as I can.

VR

Robert

1 Like

This is good to know. Thank you for the refresher!

1 Like

You’re welcome, @kcalnan.