How to Inspect Septic Systems

The 1st article I read was Septic System Inspections. The septic system separates the solids (sludge) from the effluent (water) and the scum (fats, oil, and grease). Effluent exits the treatment tank and enters the drainage field to be filtered by the bacteria in the soil. The sludge and scum should be pumped regularly. The septic system should be inspected every year. The inspector should diagram the location of the septic treatment tank, and drainage field, so it can be found easily in later inspections. The drainage field should only have grass planted over it. Only toilet paper should be flushed to enter the treatment tank. The septic system should be well maintained or expensive repairs will be in the future.
The 2nd article I read was Septic Systems. As a homeowner, you’re responsible for maintaining your septic system. An unmaintained septic system can cause expensive repairs, and possibly contaminate groundwater that may be drinking water. You should have your treatment tank inspected at least every 3 years, and pumped as needed, 3 to 5 years generally. If your septic system is properly maintained, it will filter out the contaminants and keep them out of the groundwater that you may be drinking.

I hope to learn a lot from this course. I will let you know what I think. Greg

Hello tanking Septic System Inspect class today. Thanks.

Hello, this is for my assignment in “How to Inspect Septic System” . Here is the pic and essay asked for of one component of a inspection.
This was a 25yr old system. 1000 gallon concrete tank with gravity to a 20’x40’ stone bed. There were a few issues , but the one in the picture is the outlet baffle was deteriorated and had fallen to bottom of tank. I replaced outlet baffle with Extenda Lok and Poly outlet Tee and filter. Tank also showed signs of deterioration on underside of outlet cover and underside of tank roof itself.

The attached photo is a section of the wast water system that feeds into the local septic system.

. This shows two waste water lines. The one on the left has a rubber coupling that is in good condition; the right line has a homemade coupling that is currently leaking and requires repair.

The cast iron waste water lines exit this residence and then attach to a septic tank approximately 11.5’ from the residence exterior wall. The local septic system appears to be in good working condition.

I have inspected septic systems for a while now. This course help me to understand other components that i will be definitely use in the upcoming inspections.
Taking the final exam now :slight_smile:

Nick Klassen
RGC Inspections Inc
Residential & Commercial

Just completed the course work on septics. I’ve had a number of calls for inspecting septic systems, but haven’t had the time to complete the coursework. I’m familiar with them having installed a couple of them in the past. I’ve also watched a number of videos on septic systems as well. My main concern is finding the tank and openings without doing an excessive amount of digging. Before I added risers to my current system it would have been near impossible to find if one didn’t know where to look. I guess if you can’t find it, you can’t inspect it and not much time is wasted? Another question I had was what to charge. I’ll see what I can find out locally, but wondered if there was a standard going rate.

I am taking the “How to inspect septic systems”. In Texas, is there any license requirements for septic systems or is this certification all I need?

Just talked with a realtor and found out that in our location of Ohio very little is required in a septic inspection. What the health department and most inspectors do is check to see if it’s draining OK. Look for any places where effluent might be surfacing and at the most, do a dye test. Not nearly as involved as I expected, nor as I think it ought to be. Having owned homes with septics I know it isn’t all that easy to evaluate a system and I certainly wouldn’t buy a home without knowing more about it than what I heard is the norm.

hello

Tank:
On the day of the inspection a 1000 gallon concrete septic tank was located. The inlet and outlet covers were located and exposed the liquid level was at the invert of the outlet pipe. The inlet baffle was in satisfactory condition. The filter outlet baffle was in unsatisfactory condition (plugged). In my opinion the septic tank was in unsatisfactory condition on the day of the inspection due to the plugged outlet filter and the need of pumping. Once the filter is cleaned and the tank is pumped then the tank will be in satisfactory condition.
Note: the filter was cleaned by pat Jackson Inc. right after the inspection bringing the outlet baffle filter into satisfactory condition.
Recommendation: I recommend cleaning the filter in November of each year and pumping the tank every 3 years.
Absorption area:
On the day of the inspection the absorption area located was constructed of stone and pipe approximately 15’x60’±. The Distribution box was located and exposed and was in satisfactory condition a test pit was dug down by an effluent pipe about 6’ out from the distribution box. And the stone was dry and clean with no signs of bio-matt. A 2” hole was cut into the top of the pipe and it was clean (no sludge). In my opinion the absorption area was in satisfactory condition and good working order on the day of the inspection.
Note: the absorption area matches the HHE-200

From

[size=3] Moniqua Dube, Pat Jackson Septic tank services.
11/20/115
Articles Reviewed:
Septic System Inspections
By Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard
And
Septic systems (consumer-targeted)
http://www.nachi.org/septicsystems.htm.

I reviewed the two articles and found most of the information repetitive from my current knowledge here is my write up about septic systems and what our company does to improve the environmental factor of septic system upkeep and septage processing.
Why do I need an Inspection?
Septic tanks and absorption areas are expensive to build and replace. The average system should last for twenty years plus with proper maintenance. Some systems unfortunately only last a few years, before problems or failures occur. The reasons are many, from improper design and installation to improper maintenance, and hydraulic overloading.
Getting an inspection can help evaluate what needs to be done as well as tell in what condition your septic system is in.
On- site wastewater treatment system represents a significant investment which you will want to protect. With proper operation and regular maintenance, your system will function and last longer.
Do not wait until your system shows signs of failure to have your septic tank pumped out. Waiting can mean complete clogging and an expensive repair bill. You should clean your septic tank AT LEAST EVERY TWO TO THREE YEARS. (This is the state of Maine recommendation.) Periodic pumping of the septic tank is far less costly, then the repair or replacement of the entire system.
While your tank is being pumped, ask the operator to examine the inlet and outlet baffles in the septic tank. If either is broken, have the repairs done immediately. The inlet should also be checked to see if wastewater is continuously flowing into the tank from previously undetected plumbing leaks. The outlet baffle is more important than the inlet, its loss will allow solids to go directly to the absorption area; failure of the system is common result.
Septic systems generally give little warning they are about to fail. However, the following systems often indicate the leaching system is becoming clogged: (A) Sewage odor near the septic tank or leaching field, (B) slowly running drains and toilets, and © Sewage on the ground over the leaching field.
Protect the system by keeping soil over the drain field covered with vegetation to prevent erosion. DO NOT drive heavy vehicles over the system; avoid construction over the system. Maintain natural shape of the land immediately down slop of the system and protect the area from cutting and filling. Landscape the yard to divert water from the tank and field. Be sure that the roof, gutters, and foundation drains do not flow over, or into the system.
Here are a few tips to help you locate and dig the correct cover on your septic tank.

• Look for the 4″ sewer pipe running from your toilet and shower to the outside wall of your home. Usually your tank is 8 to 15′ from the exit point of the sewer pipe.

• Perhaps you have noticed an area outside where snow melts each winter usually it is within the 8 to 15′ range. This is a good place to start. Use a bar to probe the ground and locate the four corners of the tank.

• A septic tank is approximately 8′ long by 5′ wide and has three different covers. However, some tanks are longer and can be plastic making it more difficult to locate.

• We asks that you locate and dig the center cover to allow us to properly clean your tank and remove the solids.

• Care should be taken if you have a pump with your septic system. Unground electrical wiring will be present and could be a potential hazard. If you have a pump chamber this cover should also be located and dug so it may be pumped at the time of our service.

• If you are experiencing slow drains and if the digging is fairly easy you might consider digging all of the tank covers. Exposing all of the covers would allow us to check your inlet area to clear any solids that may be restricting the flow. It would also allow us to clearly see your outlet baffle to make sure it is secure.

• Call our office if you have any questions while locating your tank. We can also locate and dig your cover for you

On a daily basis our trucks go where needed, normally emergency service is an hour or two away. And scheduled service is same day, next day, or on the order date you prefer.
If we can’t fix your problem, we will help you find the solution
Our SEPTAGE PROCESSING PLANT handles fourteen million gallons of septage and grease a year. Our newest venture is our COMPOSTING facility by, Green Mountain Tech. which produces approximately 4000 cubic yards of compost- mulch per year.

We believe waste should not pollute the earth but help it, that’s why at PJI we recycle human waste and food waste into clean water and compost. The method is extreme and undergoes multiple stages including a high temperature heating process that is lab tested and the process is done without the use of chemicals. The compost is mixed with wood shavings prior to being put into the heated boxes, so it works great as a mulch and has NO OFFENSIVE ODOR. Flowers love our compost as well as trees, and keeps weeds down compared to regular top soil. Our compost is also very attractive looking in any garden bed or surrounding your trees.

[/size]

Septic systems should be maintained by a regular yearly inspection plan, the inspector should determine if the tank needs to be pumped. He should inspect the tank, lids baffles and drain fields for potential problems and leaks. If any mechanical problems arise, he should report it to the department of health within 24 hours of the inspection. A properly installed and maintained septic system can last a very long time, if not properly maintained, they can be very expensive to fix or replace.

This older home built back in the early 70’s did not have a visible lid in order to have the tank inspected, pumped and certified. Now mandatory every 5 years.

This septic tank was buried 4’ feet underground and this system had never been pumped out. We tried to locate the tank and lid with a fiberoptic camera.

The fiber optic camera with a locater was off by 8’ and ended up locating the tank with two marking flags used as a water witch. The tank was within 6" inches using two wires for a water witch. Needless to say the guy did not charge me for the fiber optic service.

I never believed in water witching until that day. IT WORKS!

We dug up the dirt and located the tank, cleaned the dirt off the top of the tank and inspected the tank and lids. Inlet and outlet inspection covers are on each end. Had the tanked pumped out and inspected the baffles and replaced.

We added two 2’ risers to the tank with a lid at ground level so the system can be easily checked and serviced.

Finished product after digging up the yard.
I made a wishing well out of culvert pieces and the lid is under the wishing well, Just roll the wishing well out of the way and serviced the tank as needed.
:cool:

This course was informative. Many septic systems back in the day were installed when there were no regulations. Many lids out there are buried deep without risers installed. It sure makes it rough on the next guy!

Some tanks can be hard to locate without any paperwork available with the layout of the system. The deeper the tank is the slower you have to dig to assure you don’t damage the tank in any way. The cost of risers are well worth the money in the long run. :wink:

This picture was taken of a septic system being installed. It is important to glue all connections of a septic system. If you don’t, leakage can occur in unwanted areas which vegetation may possibly grow into. This will eventually clog your lines and cause a backup in the system which leads to expensive repairs.

Inspection assignment:

I do not currently have access to a septic system but my previous home did have a septic system so I will speak about my experiences with that system and the problems I had.

In the state I previously lived in it was a requirement that the tank be pumped and inspected by the seller prior to close of escrow. Upon having the tank pumped they also inspected the distribution box and found that roots from a nearby tree had grown into the box. The roots were removed and the system was passed by the septic company.

One of the first tasks I took upon moving into the home was removing the tree as recommended by the septic company but other damage had already been done that was not discovered during the original inspection. The home was currently occupied by older woman who had been widowed for about seven years so the system did not have much activity and there was a separate “dry well” type system for the washing machine.

About a year later we began having problems with the system. I had noticed the grass near the box was much greener and the soil was soft near the distribution box. I dug down to it and found the box was completely full. I had a different company come out and inspect the system and found that little to no water was getting to the bulk of the drain field. I then mentioned the previous tree and they thought that was more than likely the culprit.

I ended up having to replace the concrete distribution box (25 years old) and all of the 'header" lines out to the field. When the header lines were pulled out they were full of tree roots. The system had four lines in the field and apparently they were not distributed properly since the technician found that the gravel at the upper two lines was in his words “like new”. It had looked like the tree roots had blocked off the upper lines before attacking the lower lines and choking them off.

Luckily the concrete tank was fine but I did need to add a riser to bring it up to code since the other work was being performed. All in all it was about a $1800 repair that could of been avoided if the previous owner had put a little more thought into the planting of the tree.

I completed the visual inspection of this system and found no problems. I then opened the tank to check the scum and solids level and outlet to the leach field. There appears to be no problems with this system at present. The system is more than sufficient for the home size and load.

I discussed septic inspections with a couple of the realtors and the health department here in our county. The other inspectors do nothing more than a flush and visual examination of the function of the system, reporting any issues with surface evidence of effluent or flush issues. That’s it, unless the riser is readily accessible. For a complete maintenance inspection the local septic service charges $200 which includes pumping.

I completed a home inspection on a property built back in the 1960’s with an original septic system. The client originally declined having a proper septic inspection completed and was going to rely on the seller’s having the tanks only pumped out before closing. The property is situated on top of an elevated shelf with the septic bed being located at the front of the property and then the property slopes down to a lower section with a spring feed pond. My first concern with the system was that the D box and header would have been located in the same areas as the gazebo shown in the attached photo as well and two walk ways located over top of the leaching field. After reviewed the concern areas I found and the age of the system it was recommend to the client that the entire system should be further investigated and a complete septic inspection be completed to ensure proper operation of the system and for the future.