"How to Inspect Swimming Pools" Online Video Course

(Johnathan J. Miller) #21

Black Algae: Identified a black substance by main drain area. It would appear it is a form of algae. Recommend checking pool water quality to ensure all tests are within normal range. Brush area with nylon brush. Super-Chlorinate and add algaecide according to manufacturers directions. If black spot remains, algae could be under liner and would need to be assessed by a qualified pool contractor to drain and remove/replace liner to treat area.

(Johnathan J. Miller) #22

Opening Outdoor Pool in Spring: 1. Remove water and debris from pool cover or removal looplock springs if installed. 2. Clean cover and store properly 3. Remove Winter plugs and skimmer compensators or any other winterization products. If pool water has debris…clean. 4. Reinstall step latters, rails, diving boards, etc… 5. Fill pool with water to proper level. 6. Setup filter and pump. Replace drain plugs and turn multiport valve to “filter” position. 7. Turn on circulation system. You may need to prime pump? Ensure filter pressure gauge is below 15 psi, if not, backwash filter or clean/replace cartridge(s). 9. Test chemicals and shock pool. Ensure PH and Alkalinity are properly balanced before adding pool chemicals. After balanced add sanitizer (Chlorine etc.).
10. Run pool for 24 hours and using appropriate brush to clean pool and ensure all debris is removed.

BE SAFE and HAVE FUN!

(Douglas C. McDonald) #23

The article “Pool Alarms” points out that drowning is the second leading cause of death in children under 14 years of age. Pool alarms come in different varieties but all of them have one thing in common, that is saving lives. Pool alarms also can help save the lives of pets. Home inspectors should recommend pool alarms along with other strategies.

(John Crewdson) #24

When inspecting the skimmer on a pool, all components should be in good condition. The weir should move freely, the basket should be cleaned and there should be no visible cracks or repairs in the skimmer housing. You should feel around the housing to be sure areas not easily visible are in good condition and finally check to see there is sufficient suction withe pump running.

(John Crewdson) #25

I chose the article, Inspecting Grounding and Bonding at Residential Swimming Pools. While it may not be possible to inspect for bonding of all finished pool components, such as the pool shell, you should confirm all equipment and exposed metal parts are properly grounded and bonded wherever possible, and report any defects to your client.

(Gary D. Rowden) #26

During my inspection of the pool equipment, I observed what appears to be a loose bonding wire next to the pool pump motor and did not appear to be bonded/connected to the pool pump. Here is the verbiage I would use. “At time of the inspection there was a loose bonding wire near the pool pump and did not appear to be properly bonded to the pump. Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the pool water circulating system, including pump motors, should be properly grounded and bonded to the equipotential bonding grid in accordance with equipment instructions. Recommend a qualified pool contractor to further evaluate and any corrective action that may be needed.”

(Gary D. Rowden) #27

I selected the Cork Floor Inspection and thought it might be interesting to read and learn from. Most of the defects and disadvantages are very consistent with many other floor coverings, except for applying a urethane or polish periodically to eliminate small scratches, this is something I did not realize was needed to protect and preserve the cork flooring.

(Julia Grandt) #28

This is an image of a pool ladder where the handrails are not uniform in height which is a safety issue. Another concern with this ladder is that the width of the ladder steps is less than the recessed opening for the ladder access. This could cause injuries.

(Julia Grandt) #29

I chose the article “Pool Drain Hazards Inspection”
Pool drains are required to be covered by an approved drain cover to prevent injuries from body entrapment, hair entrapment,limb entrapment, mechanical entrapment or evisceration. Those injuries can be prevented by having an approved, firmly secured drain cover installed.

(Kevin McCurry) #30

During my inspection of the pool there were several areas of the pool surface that needed repair and wildlife had actually taken refuge. The pool deck has superficial cracking throughout. One area of concern was near the steps you could see the rusting effects on the bottom.

(Kevin McCurry) #31

I studied the D.E filter detail but my essay is on pool heating.(solar thermal heating). I have seen rubberized mats used to circulate the pool water through during the day to heat and during the night to cool in hot areas of the country. I think the more efficient way to heat with the sun is with a shell and tube or copper plate heat exchange where the pool water does not circulate through collectors to heat but obtains its heat by circulating through a series of copper plates or the shell and tube before returning to the pool as heated water.

(Doug J. Mcroberts, Mr) #32

Because of the climate in my area most pools are constructed out of a metal frame bolted together to form the top 36 inches of the pool wall and then a grouted bottom portion. The entire structure is then covered in a vinyl liner. Hard to see cracking.

(Doug J. Mcroberts, Mr) #33

Article- Pool Alarms. Tis is a good article to review. Explains the different types available and how they can prevent something tragic from happening. In my experience most homeowners think a barrier is adequate. I always recommend adding a alarm system.

(Steven Waterman) #34

At this inspection, there was no water tight seal between the coping and the deck. This was continuous around the entire perimeter, it appeared none was installed at the time of construction. Recommended a water tight caulking be applied at the isolation join.

(Steven Waterman) #35

At an inspection I performed about a month ago, there was an exterior receptacle installed for an outdoor fountain. The receptacle was a GFCI receptacle, but it was not grounded. This can be acceptable in some instances, but this receptacle was located within 20 feet of the pool wall, requiring a ground.

(Somphong Tantivilaisin) #36

Flip or Flop. This is a picture I took of a furnace in a small closet from one of the houses that I had inspected. This house was bought and fixed then sold back to the market with in 3-4 months. The rest of the house like the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room looked great; except the parts that most buyers didnt usually take a second look, like attic and crawlspace. As you can see the fresh air inlet for the furnace was actually coming from a hole in a floor that leads to the crawlspace, which was filled with dust collected in the crawlspace for the past 80 years.

(Somphong Tantivilaisin) #37

Flip or Flop. This is a picture I took of a furnace in a small closet from one of the houses that I had inspected. This house was bought and fixed then sold back to the market with in 3-4 months. The rest of the house like the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room looked great; except the parts that most buyers didnt usually take a second look, like attic and crawlspace. As you can see the fresh air inlet for the furnace was actually coming from a hole in a floor that leads to the crawlspace, which was filled with dust collected in the crawlspace for the past 80 years.

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #38

This is a picture of a pool bonding wire between the pump and the pool bonding system. The wire is broken, meaning the bonding system is no longer complete. This is a safety hazard. The inspector recommend the bonding wire be corrected by a qualified electrician.

(Hector Pina) #39

In this picture we see a pedestrian gate accessing the pool. This gate at the time of inspection did not appear to be self closing and latching. This was written as a deficiency and a safety hazard. Correction was recommended by a qualified contractor

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #40

The service drop clearance says service wires should be 22 and 1/2 feet above the pool and 10 ft away. Though this is rare to see in older homes which were built long before this safety standard. But this information should be included in the report.