How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course

a pic. of my attic no mold or wetness just clean and dry thank you

The sliding glass door has wood rot at the bottom.

For my course exercise, I inspected the access to an attic. I found a simple access panel which lifted up and into the attic space. I noted the absence of any insulation above the panel. I did see a light source switch just inside the opening but noted a broken cover plate in need of replacing. These would be two items to note in a report as needing attention.

Good Afternoon,

Just completed the course, here are three pictures of vents. Two are of gas fired appliances (water heater and a burner) and a smooth walled dryer exhaust through an attic space.

DSC00373.JPG

DSC00381.JPG

DSC00388.JPG

ATTIC, INSULATION & VENTILATION
INSPECT
:
X_ I inspected
the insulation in unfinished spaces from:
X_ readily accessible areas
_____ readily accessible panels
_____ readily accessible doors
_____ readily accessible stairs
Attic drop down stairs______________________________________________________________________________

_____ The insulation in unfinished spaces was not inspected, because it was:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present
_____ not within the scope of the inspection

_X I inspected the ventilation of unfinished spaces, including attics, crawlspaces and
foundation areas.
_____ The ventilation of unfinished spaces was not inspected, because it was:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
__
___ not present

X_ I inspected the mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry area.
_
____ The mechanical exhaust systems in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry area were not
inspected, because they were:
_____ inaccessible
_____ unsafe
_____ not present

DESCRIBE
:
The type of insulation observed can be described as:
_X fiberglass blanket
_X blown
-
in fiberglass
InterNACHI Home Inspection
Checklist
Copyright © InterNACHI. All rights reserved.
Page
of
_____ loose
-

fill fiberglass
_____ mineral rock or slag wool
_____ blown
-
in c
ellulose
_____ loose
-

fill cellulose
_____ spray
-
foamed or foamed
-

in
-*‐
place
_____ structural insulated panel
_____ concrete block insulation
_____ foam board or rigid foam
_____ insulated concrete forms
_____ natural fibers
_____ others

The approximate average depth of insulation observed at the unfinished attic floor area or roof
structure:
was 6 inches or r-19__________________________________________________________

The approximate average thickness of vertical insulation observed from the unfinished attic
area:

:
_____ I saw evidenc
e of the general absence of insulation or ventilation in unfinished spaces.
Correction is needed.
_____ I saw evidence of a material defect. Correction is needed.
_____ I saw evidence of a functional defect. Correction is needed.
_____ I saw evidenc
e of a cosmetic defect.

Due to the amount of time inspectors spend in an attic I read the article on Drop Down Ladders. Having installed the one in my own home I understand the importance of correct installation. Having been on a few inspections I have seen how poorly some are installed. Take caution and inspect these types of ladders before using them to insure YOUR safety. Especially the older wooden type. Moisture not only decays roof rafters and joists, it also effects wooden drop down ladders. Check for rot and decay before you step on these.
Artie

this is a picture of water damage near the attic opening. Rain water was being forced in by wind through broken seals. The water was starting to pool and cause the growth of mold. This was a vent that was near the opening where water was pooling.

I recently went on a shadow inspection of a new home and was given the opportunity to inspect the attic. I was very amazed on how hot the air was compared to the rest of house. It hit me like an oven! It didnt help that it was 95 outside. I was able to observe the truss formations in the roof and see the insulation that was about 12 inches thick covering the the floor. It was ridge vented and there was little room for entry.

I choose the article garage doors and openers and its surprising the this seemingly simple device is a cause of so many injuries. I was interested in the fact that the door has an automatic sensor thats activated by pressure to keep it from coming down on objects.

Here is a picture of my living rood window. It is a picture window with sliding windows on each side. The buntins are all fake. These are replacements windows that took the place of old double hungs. After changing these windows throughout my house, I saw a 25% savings on my heating and cooling bills.

I just did my practice inspection of my attic, insulation, ventilation and interior. I was pleasantly surprised how well insulated my old home is. I purchased this home a few years ago and had it inspected. I have to believe that having a detailed inspection has something to do with what I found.

Finish wall being improperly installed in a basement. Moisture barrier being installed is not permeable and has already started collecting moisture highlighted by the dark area in the picture. Also not in the picture the bottom trim is resting directly on slab.

Recommend adding additional insulation, including insulation around and near the access hatch including the access hatch cover. Estimated R-Value is R-10 which is nearly 1/5th of today’s energy code requirements for attic floor insulation. Add baffles to allow full insulation cover across attic floor without blocking soffit venting channels.

A great way to decrease thermal bridging in vaulted attic spaces where you want to finish directly to the rafters is to add furring strips perpendicular to the rafters. Not only does this allow for minimal points of thermal bridging, it will allow for additional space for more insulation increasing the R-Value for the roof.

This is a picture of an attic that didnt have enough insulation. As you can see you can see the top of the ceiling joists. Covering the ceiling joists with more insulation will help lower energy costs and reduce thermal bridging.

I am currently renting a room from a friend and I inspected his attic. I did notice that there were a lot of disturbed insulation. He had a new HVAC system installed a year ago and the installers did not put back the insulation that was moved. I was glad to help him to put back the insulation that was disturbed.

The article that i read was the 10 ways to save energy. For the most part I do all those things when it comes to saving energy, but the shower. I never thought of turning the water off while I soap up would save water. I will try that next time.:smiley:

Here is a picture of the batt insulation in my attic. As you can see from the pic there is only 4 inches of insulation laid between the attic joists. This insulation is covering approximately 1 inch of blown in insulation that looks like rock wool. This gives a total R-value of around 15 for the ceiling, which is way under the recommended R-value for zone 4 which is where I live.

After performing the visual inspection of the attic, insulation and ventilation of my home I found two issues. The first is there is an inadequate amount of insulation in the ceiling. Another 10 inches of insulation should be added over top of the current insulation and the ceiling joists in order to comply with current standards. Also, there is a slight amount of moisture intrusion in the basement next to the water heater. This is most likely due to the warm humid air coming in contact with the cold cement wall creating condensation.