How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The ductwork over front guest bedrooms is damaged and leaking conditioned air into the attic area. This can cause high energy loss and requires make-up air (air from the exterior) which pulls in air through any cracks or unsealed area of the home. This appears to be from a previous repair. Recommend further evaluation and correction by a qualified professional.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Upon studying the image “Wall Assembly; Insulation, Vapor Retarders and Sheathing” I have found that this image pertains to homes built near the southern coastal areas. The indications were the limited R-19 insulation combined with the vapor retarder placed behind the outer OSB board and not along the inner gypsum board as it would be in cold climates.

The attached picture is of the underside of the main entrance stairs in my residence. The house is approx. 30 years old. It is a raised ranch style so there is this flight up to the main level , an intermediate landing and a lower flight to the basement level. The stairs were prefabricated by a company specializing in stair building. The required fire barrier of minimum 1/2 sheet rock fire tapped is not there. The stair opening is appox. 37" wide and the treads are 10.5" deep including a 1" nosing projection. Riser height is on average 7.5".
the bottom flight is missing a handrail.
The intermediate landing is 3’10"x6’6"
I will be adding intermediate stringer supports, 5/8 type x finish taped to the underside of the landing and flights, and additional railings. Hopefully this will bring the entry closer to meeting current IBC regs.

The first riser going down the stairs was only about 3" in height. The difference between the tallest
and shortest riser should not be more than 3/8" because of a possible tripping hazard. Recommend further evaluation/repair by a qualified contractor.

This essay is based on IBC 2018 section R314 Smoke Alarms. It will be a rough summary of the section as it appears.
Compliance with NFPA 72
SA’s must be UL 217 listed
An alteration to an existing building then must comply with this section

Required locations - bedrooms, outside each sleeping area, additional levels of the residence
including habitable attic and basements - see exceptions for less than full story levels

not less than 3’ from the door to a bathroom with a tub or shower - I guess this is to help with false alarms from steam ???

SA’s not installed in following locations unless it would preclude the installation of a SA in that area -
ionized SA less that 20’ from cooking appliance
ionized SA with silencing switch less that 10’ from cooking appliance
photo electric SA less than 6’ from a cooking device
interconnection of SA’s is required. They must be hard-wired unless they are all activated when one trips.
Do they make that kind - I will research this.
Combination detectors - smoke/carbon monoxide are equal to smoke alarms
Fire alarm systems can be used in lieu of a smoke alarm system

According to Internachi, “When installing fiberglass insulation, make sure that you wear personal protective equipment, including a hat, gloves, and a face mask, as stray fiberglass material can be inhaled and cause irritation to the lungs, eyes and exposed skin.” Following these guidelines can prevent health issues from arising at a later date.

Dryer vent safety can be an easily over looked area for inspections. Inproper dryer ventalation and lack of cleaning can cause lint built up which can lead to a dryer fires if these vents should become blocked. Look for unsecured connections and crushed vents behind the dryers. Flexable exhaused vents should be discouraged because they have a tendency to collect the most lint.

The Crawlspace of a home is a dangerous place. There are a number of things to be aware of including irritants such as mold, fungus, hantavirus (carried by mice), and asbestos. The structure and ground itself are also dangerous in a crawlspace where you may find improper wiring, standing water, or even a structural collapse. Crawlspaces should not be entered without Personal Protection Equipment (PPE).

Essay Assignment: Exterior Door and Landings. Landings are required to be at least 36" wide and 36" deep if a door swings out over it. In the attached photo the landing meets these requirements as the door opens into the house and not over the landing. The landing height does not exceed the required max height of 7 3/4" and also has a dimension of less than 7 3/4" for a step from the landing to the door sill plate.

Research and Essay Writing: Attic Ventilation. When inspecting a home in particular the attic it is important to verify that the attic space has been properly ventilated. The can be achieved by a variety of methods. If insulation has been placed in the attic space then it is important to also verify that a continuous air vapour barrier has been installed between the ceiling and the insulation in order to reduce air movement and transfer of moisture vapour from the warmer interior environment and the colder attic space (assuming a northern climate). If the home has soffits then baffles need to be placed between the rafters to allow unobstructed air flow from the soffit vents the attic space. In this type of attic space roof vents are also required to allow air flow from the soffits to through the attic space. This is important in the winter to remove warm moisture rich air which could condense on the under side of the roof sheathing and create rot or mold.

Handrail is unsafe for use. Handrail is rusted to the point that it has structurally failed. Handrail is also a safety hazard due to many sharp edges that may cut or injure a person while attempting to use the handrail .

When I inspect a stairway, I first make sure the steps are sound and in good shape. I make sure they measure within the required specs. I then move on to the handrails and gates. I make sure they are solid, sturdy and in good condition. I also make sure the gates, spindles, etc are within the correct tolerances/spacing. Lastly, I make sure they are well lit and safe to use.

Here we have a Modern style railing for a deck. The stainless cables are less then 4 inches. So it will stop a 4" ball from going though it. Plus the railing is 41 1/2" tall off the deck floor too.

Properly sealing and insulation your attic can save you money by 20% of your heating or cooling bill. Make sure you have adequate venting system in place for the air flow from outside to inside of the attic. When installing make use sure you have PPE on for your safety. Before installing the insulation, install a vapor barrier in between the ceiling joist. And make sure you used the adequate insulation value for your house.

The attached photo shows an unconditioned crawlspace with no installed air ventilation. The lack of installed air vents on the exterior foundation walls has caused a buildup of moisture within the crawlspace, which has caused visible damaged to the metal jacks and to the structure of the home’s metal frame.

I constantly see installed Hardboard siding on homes with visible open gaps and visible damage to the boards, due to moisture intrusion from the weather. I see it so often that I now have a pre-written statement for my reports on the subject.

On the front of the dwelling, three tab asphalt shingles extend over the existing wooden gutters. It appears that there is no drip edge installed the entire section that covers the gutters. The amount of shingle overhang could become an issue when strong winds are present.

Factory build fireplaces make up about 75% over all fireplaces being installed today. These fireplaces are lightweight and can be installed after initial construction of a dwelling. I am insulating air blanket around the unit keeps the outer wall cool allowing installation in close proximity to the wood structure.Just like a conventional fireplace, normal cleaning and maintenance is required. A chimney sweep should inspect the exhaust flue annually.

When inspecting a house, it is important to note if there are any open gaps or holes in the exterior. It is as important to note the same things at doors and windows. Here we have French doors that have windows on either side. We look at the windows to see if they made of laminate or tempered glass, which should be etched into the glass in one of the corners. Here the glass is double pane tempered in the wall and at the doors as well. They do not appear to have lost there thermal seal, which could be indicated by streaking pattern on the window. opening the doors it was noted that the seals around both of the doors is in good condition, preventing the loss of air into or out of the house.

Fiber cement board siding was a popular exterior cladding used starting in the early 1970’s. This type of siding has a number of undesirable characteristics. Starting with peeling paint but more importantly water intrusion into the building structure. This type of siding expands and contracts at a different rate than the caulks used to seal the joints and seams. Openings in the seams and along the corner trim are pathways for moisture to get behind the siding. Compounding these typical moisture intrusion concerns is the cracked or damaged siding around the hose bibs. Evaluation and repairs should be completed by a licensed contractor who specializes in cement fiber siding repairs.