How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks Course

Hello, this course will be very helpful to me as I continue to inspect homes and their components.
Thanks for all of the work you at NACHI have put into making this training available, Jack Reusser

Here in The Villages, Florida, I am blessed with new water heaters, installed correctly.

Happy Inspection all, Jack

I did a Warranty Inspection in January of this year, including the plumbing system.

The Warranty inspections are done in the 11th month after a new home is built.

The plumbing system is working correctly as designed.
There were no defects found during this inspection.

Jack Reusser

This is a photograph of a label from an electric water heater. Much information can be found on the manufacturers label. The labeling on the hot water tank could list the manufacturer, the tank size, the serial number, model number, fuel type, BTU ratings, and proper clearances required for the tank.

Water Heater Inspection Summary:
I inspected the water heating equipment, including the energy source,
and temperature/pressure-relief (TPR) valve.

-The water heater is an electric water heater powered by a 220 volt circuit.
-The unit is a REEM brand Model# B2SV30-2 manufactured in 2007.
-There are two heating elements for this unit
-This unit has a 30 gallon capacity

-There were no visible leaks at any valves or seals at the time of inspection.
-TPR valve appeared to be installed correctly and in good condition.
-TPR valve was not operated in this inspection.
-The drip tube is installed and directed into the catch pan.
-Catch pan was not drained into a drain, however there is a “Floodsafe” device installed and the water detector was located in the catch pan. Upon detecting water in the pan, the flood prevention device will automatically shutoff the water supply to the water tank.

Water Heater Recommendations:
-Clear the jacket slots of dirt, dust, or other restrictions.
-For electric, check the seal around the heating elements and check the operation of the thermostats.
-Once a year, check the TPR valve.
-Monthly drain a gallon of water from the tank to remove silt and sediment.
-Every two years inspect the anode rod and replace when necessary.
-The use of a water softener may increase the speed of the anode consumption, so more frequent
inspections are recommended.

In this picture you will see that the flue was not attached to the Draft Diverter. Not only was it not line up but it did not have 3 screws securing the flue to the Diverter. This causes an unsafe situation with Carbon Monoxide gases getting into the living space every time the hot water tank was running.

Howie Boyda
Canadian Residential Inspection Services

Hi Members,
Here was the results of a electric water tank that I inspected:
It had a 40 amp breaker that was wired correctly with BX cabling that was properly secured at the tank.
The TPR valve was properly installed with down spout attached.
The tank had a 73 US gallon capacity.
There was a floor drain by the down spout at the floor.
It had a ball shutoff valves on the cold water line to tank.
There was no signs of corrosion or rust on the tank.
the tank was 3 years old (2011) identified by the date on the label.
No deficiency found at the time of inspection.

Howie Boyda

Good course!

I found the break down of the components for the different types of water heaters beneficial. The Master plumber also contributed some good information that will be beneficial on my future hot water tank inspections.
Howie Boyda

http://wh1.jpg.to

http://wh2.jpg.to

http://wh3.jpg.to

http://wh4.jpg.to

This water heater was installed on a plastic drain pan that has since cracked and broke making it invalid. The TPR valve is installed in the top of the tank but the extension tube should terminate within 6 inches of the floor into a indirect drain. This one terminates through the wall into a bathroom on the other side of the wall. Recommend repair by a Licensed Plumbing Contractor.

This water heater was built in 1986, so it is nearing the end of it’s useful life, although it performed well on the date of our inspection. When the water heater is replaced, we recommend the use of a Licensed Plumbing Contractor, so that the current safety issues can be corrected.

Water heater expansion tanks do what the name implies, they allow for the thermal expansion and contraction of hot and cold water. As the water expands due to a thermal rise, the expansion tank absorbs this energy into a pressurized bladder tank and then releases as the water cools.

The bladder is important to prevent air from becoming absorbed into the water, and lets the bladder work like a shock absorber.

The Video was somewhat disappointing for me. The information was good so I guess that’s what counts.

This is a picture of the gas supply line to the water heater. As you can see the drip leg is there and the valve is above the drip leg as the master plumber pointed out how it should be.

The inspection article I read was the water heater dating chart. According to the chart the water heater in the photo of my previous post was made in July of 1997, about 17 and a half years ago. If I’m not mistaken, in the video a typical water heaters life span is about 10 to 14 years.

Behind each electric water heater panel you will see electrical wiring, a thermostat and temperature setting numbers. Also located behind each panel is the upper or lower heating element.

You can see-
-Electrical wires bringing power to the heating element
-Electrical wires taking power out of the thermostat and into the electrical heating element.
-The electric water heater temperature setting.
-The electrical wires connected heating element.

You can see from the burned and melted plastic that there was a problem with the lower heating element on this unit.

AWP water heater lower unit burn marks.jpg

This 2002 Rheem gas water heater should be inspected by a professional liscenced plumber to determine what maintanence issues need addressing or if the appliance needs replacing.

A safety concern that does need immediate attention, seen in this photo, is the absence of a drip tube that should be attached to the TPR valve.
There is water marks , indicating there was a previous leak, along the side of the tank but at this time there is no indication that a water leak of any kind is occurring.

Missing TPR valve extension

great point when the master plumber pointed out that the valve should before the drip leg.
Also good to learn more about the TPR. Every home owner that has a water heater, should be aware of this essential part.

great point when the master plumber pointed out that the valve should before the drip leg.
Also good to learn more about the TPR. Every home owner that has a water heater, should be aware of this essential part.