How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks Course

Evaluating Homes Built Using Alternative Building Methods

Although these builds are not the norm, it is good to do some research to be somewhat prepared for that rare occasion. Keep in mind a lot of the systems to be inspected (plumbing, electric, HVAC, etc.) are still the same so those won’t be so daunting. The more digging you can do with contractors, and manufacturers of the different types of builds the better prepared you are to set yourself apart from the rest of the inspectors in your area.

How to Inspect Water Heating Tanks
This 2005 Rheem Electric hot water tank is located in the garage. It appears to be in good condition. The CPVC pipes are in good condition as well as the shut off valve. The TPR valve has a proper extension pipe that terminates 6” above the ground. There were no water spots or existing leaks at the time of the inspection. There are no rust spots anywhere on the unit. The electrical wires are clamped down properly as well. No issues found with this unit.

Water heater is 8 years old - budget for replacement in the near future. Corrosion observed at water heater shut off valve - recommend repair by a qualified plumber. Water temperature was 140º - recommend reducing water temperature below 120º to reduce the chance of scalding – safety hazard. Water heater TPR valve extension is missing - must terminate within 6” from the floor/potential safety hazard.

111.jpg

222.jpg

333.jpg

444.jpg

222.jpg

222.jpg

444.jpg

222.jpg

water heater expansion tanks
as water is heated it expands which in turn creates pressure. If the water is on a closed system the water pressure can become high. the expansion tank accommodates the high pressure with a rubber bladder inside the expansion tank that is compressed to relieve pressure.

The image above shows a Rheem electric hot water heater and its label. This water heater has a 50 gallon capacity and was manufactured in 2005. There are no signs of leaks at the time of inspection. The TPR valve is located on top of the tank and has a properly connected discharge pipe that terminates 4 inches from the garage floor however the termination is not readily observable by the occupants as it should be. It is recommended to have the TPR discharge pipe relocated to have the termination visible in case a leak were to occur with the valve in the future.

The 50 gal natural gas water heater is manufactured by State Industries, the build date is 09/04/2013. The overall condition of the heater and its function are good condition, but I did observe two problems with the installation.
One: the TPR valve discharge pipe would flow into the catch pan under the heater, which is incorrect. The discharge pipe should dump through a 6" air gap to a conspicuous drain.
Two: The heater is 40,000 BTU’s/hr that is installed in a small utility closet along with the washer and dryer. A appliance of this BTU output requires either, 2000 cubic feet of air space or two 12" vents(one high and one low), to perform properly. The utility closet is only 128 cubic feet, so I would recommend the installation of proper ventilation.

I’m having trouble attaching more that one photo apparently. not sure what I’m doing wrong, but help would be appreciated. I am using an iPad, I don’t know if that makes a difference.

this is a small water heater found in an outbuilding.it has corrosion around the top and at each connection to the tank. the pressure relief valve also terminates into wastewater line with no backflow prevention and no overt indicators if the release valve is triggered. there also exposed wires which wouldn’t be a problem if the access panel was not missing. As it currently sits anyone who attempts to use the bathrooms toilet risks a nasty shock to do so.

I have just finished reading the article “Water Heater Expansion Tanks” from the Internachi Inspection Article Library. This article does a great job explaining the function of the expansion tank as well as the importance of proper location and support of the tank. It is important to remember that the expansion tank does not eliminate the necessity of a properly installed and functional TPR valve. Although expansion tanks are an important part of a residential water system it is the TRP valve that will save a water heater from a catastrophic explosion if the pressure exceeds 150 psi or the temperature exceeds 210 degrees F.

Water Heater Expansion Tanks:
The expansion tank, is a small steel tank on the down stream side, of the water heater. It contains a diaphragm to separate the water and pressurized air, this works a shock absorber to accommodate for the expansion and contraction of the hot water. The tank should be inspected for leaks, corrosion and proper mounting position.

The 50 gallon water heater is electric. Note indicated 2008 installation and infrequent flushing of solids. Suggest annual flushing schedule.
Defects include:

1. No power disconnect in sight.
  2. TPR drain is 1/2" id. 3/4" required.

Water heater expansion tanks are designed to “make room” for the home’s plumbing system. Water requires more volume as it warms up. This increased volume raises the pressure in the entire plumbing system and that can damage valves (faucets, water closets, washing machine, etc.). The addition of an expansion tank minimizes the potential damage by allowing the heated water more space, thereby maintaining safe pressure levels.

Electric 30 gallon water heater manufactured 5/2004.
Water heater may need to be replaced in the near future.
Water marks coming from the top of the water heater unknown origin. Cold water pipe show signs of corrosion.
No drip pan visible.
Grounding wire attached correctly.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_1590.JPG[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG.jpg

IMG_1588.JPG

As I’m going through this course on Water Heaters, I am gaining a wealth of knowledge by observing other students and staff’s posts and how everyone interacts with the lesson.

Water heaters are meant to supply safe hot water to the receptacles that call for it. Today, the average water heater lifespan is about 5-6 years. Due to that dip in lifespan, water heaters are needing to be replaced more often. When I inspected my water heater I noticed that it was 12 years old and that my warranty expired 6 years ago. Going through this course helped me be able to identify different problems with my water heating system. I was able to recall the corrosion on my cold water pipe and the fact that I had no drip pan installed. IN the different articles that I read, they mentioned that water heaters can be a safety hazard if not well maintained. At that moment I decided to start looking for a new water heating system. Water heaters need attention yearly to be properly maintained. Safety is a big issue especially if children are involved.

Here is a picture of a hot water heater which in in good condition and has no rust. The tprs valve is plumbed to outside and not visible. No expansion tanks were found on or near this hot water heater.

water heater.jpg

Unit is a 40 gallon electric water heater located in the garage. House was built in the 80’s but water heater was replaced in 2009. Unit shows no signs of leaks or defects. TPR valve and discharge pipe are all installed properly.

Photo Assignment:
The photo shows a water heater tank. There are no signs of damage nor rust. Hot water is distributed throughout the apartments hot water fixtures below scalding range. The tpr valve is below the discharge pipe, which is not straight and may or may not be directly connected to the drainage system. The pan shows signs of corrosion. It is recommended to have a plumbing contractor correct the tpr valve, discharge pipe, and pan, as well as do a full inspection and evaluation of the water heater tank system.

Reading & Writing Assignment:
TPR Valves and Discharge Piping
Temperature/pressure-relief valves are an important safety feature for water heater tanks since they release the pressure from overheated water due to extreme negligence, outdated, or malfunctioning equipment. Overheated water inside the tank can cause extreme pressures to build to a point that an overheated tank explosion can cause the tank to be propelled through multiple floors, causing personal injury and extensive property damage. For these reasons it is important that a home inspector be well versed in what to look for in a TPR valve and it’s discharge pipe.

The attached photo, shows a label of the water heater that was inspected. The label lets me know that it has a capacity of 40 gallons. The water heater is manufactured by Ruud and it has two elements. It has an upper and lower element and both have a 4500/3380 watt rating. This label also gives me the model number and serial number of the unit. It is very important to take digital photos of the water heaters or any other unit being inspected that has a label.

Attached is the essay and photo requirement for the Water Heater Tanks course. Below is the essay for the reading assignment.

Gromicko on Home Inspection Websites was, as prefaced: brutally honest. I like that. I am new to the inspection industry and am in the process of getting my website up and going. While in school for my license I was told by an instructor “Your website is your storefront, make it count”. That resonated with me. I like everything that was said in the article. Although it was contradictory with the mainstream, I agree with the concept for an inspectors purpose. Hopefully good results will come from heeding the advice.