"How To Perform Mold Inspections" online video course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Upon performing the mold inspection, I inspected various areas within the master bathroom. One area of interest included the areas of, and around the bathtub which also included a close visual inspection of the surround top of tub caulking. In this area, I observed no signs of deterioration, water leakage issues, or apparent mold.

Research & Writing Assignment:

According to years of professional studies, it has been determined that the condition of intruded water and/or moisture can cause damage to the building if not discovered and dried out within a very short period of time. Some issues that can manifest within a building structure when exposed to unnoticed water intrusion can include: "structural wood decay, high indoor humidity and resulting condensation, metal corrosion, ice dams, and mold growth. (N. Gromiko, K. Shepard, Moisture Intrusion) Steps should be taken to eliminate every possibility of these types of conditions from happening, and if and when they do, immediate steps should be taken to dry out and restore the area to its original state thoroughly and in a professional manner.

While performing a limited mold inspection on the garage, visible mold was observed. It is located wood paneling located near the base of the water heater. The visible mold will not be tested. However, the wood will be removed and properly disposed of.

After reading the article titled, “Moisture Meters for Inspectors” I am able to understand the value of a moisture meter. Moisture meters are an important tool in the mold inspection world. They are able to determine the percentage of water saturation in a particular area. Since mold prefers moisture to grow, determining the percentage of moisture is imperative.

Upon inspecting attic, sheathing has visible apparent mold growth. The most probable source is improper ventilation. Mold can lead to rot, roof is first line of defense of home. Mold remediation recommended and qualified contractor to properly ventilate attic area.

Mold inspecting. A noninvasive visual inspection taken combined with air sampling and surface testing. Moisture readings should be taken along with temperature and humidity readings. Look for conditions conducive to mold growth. If mold is found and confirmed professional mold remediation must be recommended.

I did a home inspection back in February that had noticeable moisture intrusion issues in the basement. The basement bedrooms had the carpets removed which revealed past water stains on the concrete floor. As the inspection progress, I noted apparent mold and my moisture sensor detected elevated moisture levels along the baseboards. The inspection revealed mold and moisture issues in all the basement rooms. I later learned, from the buyer, that a broken under ground waste line was the cause of the water intrusion.

I chose to study the illustration dealing with foundation drainage because I see the results of poor drainage in many of my inspections. The main detail in the illustration that I focused on was the 6" drop over 10’ notation. Having proper slope allows water to drain away from the foundation thus preventing many water intrusion issues. I inspected a home last week which did not have proper grading around the foundation. In fact, a planter around a window well caused water to seep into window well egress window.

Is it mold? Let’s not jump to conclusions! This photo was taken in a stairwell/utility closet. Two of the studs show what is apparent mold but the fire block next to the stud does not. A pin type moisture meter was used to check R.H., temp. moisture content. These readings do not support any moisture intrusion. Perhaps these studs were at the bottom of the lumber stack at the time of construction and the apparent suspect mold is inactive or it’s not mold at all!

After a great deal of time spent researching and comparing price, function and brands of mold testing equipment, I have come to the conclusion that there is only one air pump that is both affordable to the inspector and that will provide an affordable service to the client. The Zefon pump will work with many different testing cassettes that can be sent overnight to several labs around the U.S. with the capabilities of a fast turnaround and report.

It appears to be that there was prior water damage on the wall, caused by water through the window seal. The drywall is currently dry and looks like it was replaced after a previous water event. Further inspection inside the wall is recommended to determine if mold is present in the building materials.

In the article I read I learned that if you are going to have a real estate agent sign a document on behalf of the client, it is pertinent to require them to write “authorized agent” along with their signature.

In this photo there is black staining with white fuzz on the sheathing in the crawlspace. There appears to be microbial contamination throughout the crawlspace. It is recommended that further evaluation and remediation be conducted as needed by a qualified professional. Testing for the mold is recommended.

“Mold Testing for Home Inspectors” discusses what mold is, requirements for testing, maintenance to prevent mold growth, testing and sampling. Mold is defined as “a byproduct of the breakdown of organic matter”. Mold can spread quickly and is a health concern. The best way to prevent mold growth is prevention. For example if there is a plumbing leak do not delay on fixing the leak. There a two methods for testing for mold; air sampling and surface sampling. The tests are then sent to a lab for analysis and report.

During the inspection of the attic area in closets has apparent microbial growth. The area was musky smelling and shows signs of the possibility of prior water penetration. Recommend mold testing to evaluate for possible mold in the attic area.

I learned from reading Mold Testing for Inspectors that "Mold is a byproduct of the breakdown of organic matter, such as plants, wood, and even food and certain beverages. The problem posed to humans by mold is their spores, which can be released into the air and land on damp surfaces indoors, where they will continue to grow if the conditions are right. "

Small leaks in dark location can be a great breeding ground for mold spores to grow. Leak should be cleaned immediately or the growth process will began within 24-48 hours. Once moisture has been addressed and controlled, then the mold growth has been addressed. Then it just the process of remediating/cleaning the existing residue.

Using a mold pump is the best solution in determining the air quality of a location. Machine must be calibrated each day and I would suggest befor each use as bumps in the road can slight throw off the reading of the pump.

Checking in for Advanced Mold inspection certification course. (;

A visual inspection of the lower cabinet under the kitchen sink revealed apparent mold growth. The area was checked with a moisture meter which indicated high moisture levels. The source of the moisture will need to be determined and repaired. a swab of the apparent mold growth was taken and sent for analysis.