“How to Perform Roof Inspections” Course

ok starting roofing

Roofing, one more piece of the “Home Inspection Course”, to certification.

4 down starting 5

starting roofs

Beginning the roof inspection course.

these courses are excellent I have gotten more out of InterNACHI courses then takeing a 7 day $2500.00 class to be a certified home inspector.

I Just finished the “How to Perform Roof Inspections” Course and I am ready to take the Test. I Just want to say to other Students of Home Inspection Study, that this course is Just Like All the Others I have taken. Strait Forward, Direct, To The Point, Easily Understood Curriculum that Educates Us to do a Better Job of Inspection for Our Clients. Thanks! to Ben, Nick and Others who are involved in the Process of putting together these Great Courses of Study. Thanks Again ! Byron Scott AAA Integrity Certified Inspections. :smiley:

starting roofing

Electrical was fun, Now on to the roof…thanks guys.

ready to start

No, it’s correct the way it is. Deflection is bending or movement, not a force like tension or compression. In engineering, deflection is the degree to which a structural element is displaced under a load.

I am getting ready to get started on the “How to perform roof inspections” test!
I will get back with questions if needed.
Thank you for your support!

Ready to start the course.

Hi Ben,

In the course video you state that slope and pitch do not mean the same thing. While they are numbers or ratios that may be expressed differently, please explain to me why they do not mean the same thing.

For example: if a slope on a roof is 4:12 and the pitch on the same roof is 1/3, the slope ratio reduces from 4:12 to 1:3 which is essentially 1/3, the same as the pitch. Is there an example where a slope ratio and the pitch will not reduce to the same fraction?

Also I have a question about the definition of “pitch” applied to a gabled roof vs a shed roof but I’ll save that for later.

Andy

Hi, Andrew.
Please refer to the sentences directly under the “Roof Pitch and Slope Requirements” illustration. There are examples you’ll find useful.

OK here we go another course!

starting roof class

On the page titled “Structural Issues Disguised as Cosmetic Ones”, it states:

“A lack of collar ties (typically 1x wood) would cause the ridge – not the rafters – to sag, as well as cause the walls to spread.”

Or said another way, collar ties prevent walls from spreading.

“1. install the appropriate number and size of collar ties that are typically no more than one-third up toward the ridge plate from the wall plates, so as to prevent ridge sag** and wall spread**; or”

Yet in the InterNACHI Article “Collar Ties vs Rafter Ties” it states under Other facts about collar ties:

“Collar ties, contrary to popular belief, do not prevent walls from spreading.”

Are those not contradictions?

Collar ties should be installed in the top third area, not one-third up from the wall plates.

Does ridge plate mean ridge board?

i got a 100 on my last test… goin for two!:shock:

Collar ties are not designed to prevent walls from spreading or ridges from sagging, they are designed to oppose uplift at the peak. RAFTER TIES are designed to keep walls from spreading and ridges from sagging.