How to Perform Roofing Inspections

I am summarizing what I learned from the article: 10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home. The article states multiple ways to make a home more cost effective while making it operate more efficiently. Some are as easy as changing out your old incandescent lights for some new light-emitting diodes (LEDs) or compact fluorescent lamps (CFLS), cooking smart with more efficient ovens or microwave ovens, better sealing and insulating your home, or altering the way you do laundry. Other methods, such as installing a tank-less water heater or replacing inefficient shower heads and toilets, can be more costly but still have a positive impact on your home. Whether you want to spend a little or a lot, this article can help to provide information on how to make your home operate to the best of its capabilities!

Improperly installed interior garage steps that are not properly fastened to interior wall. There is also a safety hazard with steps more than four steps require handrails be installed on stairs. Consult with a qualified contractor to address these concerns.

This is an asphalt shingle roof with no visible deficiencies. There is one layer of covering. There are no missing or damaged shingles, signs of previous repairs, or nail pops. There is a drip edge installed and all shingles appear to have been installed correctly.

A collar tie is a tension tie in the upper third of opposing gable rafters that is intended to resist rafter separation from the ridge beam during periods of unbalanced loads, such as that caused by wind uplift, or unbalanced roof loads from snow. A rafter tie is a tension tie in the lower third of opposing gable rafters that is intended to resist the outward thrust of the rafter under a load. In many situations, you’ll find that ceiling joists installed parallel to the rafters are intended to function as rafter ties.

The article I chose is called “Mastering Roof Inspections: Pests”. I learned that attics are often a place where wildlife will seek shelter and/or look for a place to raise their young. This is because attics offer protection from the elements and are seldom visited by humans. Insects, raccoons, pack rats, birds, squirrels and bats can cause damage to homes and bite, sting, or carry diseases to humans.

The asphalt shingles on this roof have reached the end of their life and need to be replaced. Most of the granules are missing, the edges have begun to cup on many of the shingles, large cracks and hail damage are present and some of the ridge cap has blown off.

metal roof valley looks like its be done properly its called a open roof valley the metal is at times glavenized its to protect from weather its usually 24 inches wide slipt evenly on both planes for the best outcome

1 Like

an exterior siding gotta make sure it meets the requirements so that we wont run into any problems with moisture and correct flashing will prevent it more from water getting to your osb then into the interior side of the wall

Good afternoon. the picture above is a multi fail and here’s why. no underlayment present. the roof deck ended shy of the rake and the drip edge was used to bridge the gap. and last but certainly not least the actual problem. the roof was being replaced due to water stains on the ceiling. and at a glance or even a hard look one would conclude that given the age and condition of the asphalt shingles that they had failed. however upon removal I could clearly see that the roofing material although not installed correctly did not fail but the sheathing was not cut back adequately allowing the ridge and soffit venting to function properly. the water stains were from condensation.

1 Like

In this picture the downspout is emptying into an extension downspout. The downspout and the extension is emptying out onto the driveway and close to the garage door. The driveway has begun to slope back towards the downspout creating pooling when it rains. An option to correct this is to relocate the downspout as to prevent it from emptying onto the driveway.

Flashing on chimneys should consist of two types of flashing when the roof and chimney run parallel to each other. The first type of flashing that needs to be put on is step flashing. This goes on with each row of shingles as you make your way upward along the chimney. It should have the appearance of stair steps. The next type of flashing that needs to be used in conjunction with step flashing is counter flashing. Counter flashing will overlap the step flashing and should be attached inside the mortar and then sealed. With these two types of flashing working together water intrusion into the roof decking surface is minimized.

This is an image of the drip edge on an asphalt shingle roof. It is correctly installed beneath the single layer of asphalt shingles. It will perform correctly and keep water from wicking into the roof sheathing as it leaves the roof covering.

I recently read an article regarding carbon monoxide or CO. I found the concentration levels or PPM to be most interesting. levels far smaller than I imagined can be fatal. so now when I think of people that I have seen using wick burning heaters that are non vented I cringe.

This roof could not be accessed safely from a ladder due to an icy and wet roof surface. The InterNACHI standards of practice state that it is not mandatory for an inspector to walk on any roof surface it the inspector feels it is not safe.

1 Like

Radon is odorless and is a harmful gas that is the product from the decay of uranium in the soil and is present in all of the USA at certain concentrations. All homes should be tested for radon and mitigated if needed.

This photo shows the underside of the roof of a prior addition. The roof type is a shed roof with a hip-like drop to one side. The roof sheathing is OSB plywood. The rafters are connected with metal hangers. The OSB is correctly oriented perpendicular to the rafters. There are no indications of water intrusion or other damage which would constitute a defect.

Kickout flashing is a type of flashing that diverts water into the gutter at the intersection of the roof and a wall where the wall continues past the edge of the gutter. Potential problems with this type of flashing are: kickout was never installed, kickout was installed improperly or kickout has been improperly modified. Indications of water damage from a defective kickout may not be visible so it is important to check that kickouts are installed correctly where needed.

This is a picture of a separated vent stack in the attic. Upon further inspection, the holes cut to install the vent did not line up. Sloping of the roof was noticed and probable as the cause of the vent separation.

Measuring roof slope. I was having difficulty at first determining slope from pitch. I just want internachi to know, that I know, slope is measured as a ratio of rise to run inches per foot, and pitch is rise divided by the run expressed as a fraction.

Poor framing practice, non opposing roof rafters. As an inspector you will most likely view rafter framing in the attic. it is imperative rafter alignment as the opposing rafters must align directly opposite each other in pairs at the ridge. Rafters should be installed 24 inches on center. View whether there is signs of failure or signs of sagging. If this is the case recommend a roofing contractor check the stability of the roof