How to Perform Tree Inspections Course

This new course is a good one to have. The defensible space was something I can understand better and to pass onto clients. Where I am from a lot of houses are being built in heavily wooded areas and it’s good for the client to know about safety of the home.

The several pictures attached are from a multiple truck tree. It has two large cavitations which are deep into the truck. The tree has significant lean and I have seen fungi growing on the ground nearby. It still produces leaves and has its bark I place. However I commonly see dead branches on the ground.
This tree is a real enigma of conditions. I would diagnose this tree as living, but in the dying process, and it is highly prone to breaking in high wind, rain or snow.
The tree is located approximately 25 ft. From my home, but it stands near 30 ft., and the lean is toward the home. Therefore I would rate this tree as a safety hazard and recommend a confirming inspection by an certified arborist.

image.jpeg

I chose the article on Tree swing inspection. It begins with surveying the quality and correctness of the build, and followed by the commonly understood steps.

1. Determine the type of tree, as several types of trees are generally not suitable for a rope swing.
  2. Assess the condition of the tree itself. Does it lean, have dead branches, fungi, cracks or crevice in the trucks.
  3. Insure the limb that the swing is attached is greater than 6 inches round.
  4. Insure the rope or chain is in good condition.
  5. Insure the seat is in good condition.
  6. Insure the swing is high enough so feet won’t drag the ground.
  7. Chech surrounding for safety getting off or on the swing.
  8. Make sure the swing is not located near water or concrete components or hard metal objects.

Even though this seems common sense, there are still ever changing conditions with a tree swing, as time passes. A good thorough inspection should be performed regularly to insure safety.

This tree appears to be a healthy thriving tree. Although it has two trunks; they are growing vertically. I noticed that on the left side of the trunk on the ground the roots have penetrated the soil upwards and the tree is leaning towards the house. For this reason alone could be hazardous but the fact that it’s dropping branches onto the roof and it’s less than 6 feet from the residence makes this a recipe for disaster. I didn’t see much incest activity or fungus. This tree in a field would be a good fit but along side of a home that recently experienced a major flood wouldn’t be in the owners best interest.

The article about Eminent domain was interesting in many ways. First I didn’t know that you as a homeowner have no say so in your home being considered blighted. And secondly, that the fifth amendment requires that land may be appropriated by the government for public use. It is usually left up to the localities for interpretation of the law. But it has in the past leaned towards the best interest of the investor’s and personal interests groups. An inspection could potentially help in determining the viability of a claim that a house is maintained and therefore not in a blighted state.

You may have to zoom in to see the lightning strike that removed bark from sections over 30 feet. It is the large pine tree (over 75 feet tall) that had a 30 inch base. Because I’m on a lake access to remove it had to be with a crane over the house. I was amazed that they could remove it in 4 sections and super glad they didn’t drop it on my house.

This is a cypress tree in Collier County the guys in the photo are both 6’2".

Research Assignment: Attached Garage Fire Containment

Many of today’s homes have rooms over the garage (ROG). This requires a garage design that incorporates fire-resistance in the ceiling between the garage and the ROG. Most use Type X gypsum board that delivers a 45 minute fire rating; however, a Type C gypsum board is far superior and recommended by this inspector. Type C has a 2-hour rating.

Gypsum board increases fire ratings by including glass fibers in the composition to strengthen cracks that appear after moisture (normally 50%) is driven from the gypsum board (calcination), thus providing a means for fire to travel. Type C gypsum uses more glass fibers and vermiculite to extend its fire rating characteristics.

Testing is done by placing a 16 pound 13 ounce weight on a 15 x 15 inch sample of gypsum board that bridges the top of a fire brick testing area and burning gas below until the weights break through.

Sorry you failed the assignment by not posting in the correct section.

Here is a white pine tree somebody planted to close to the overhead power lines. The soil is very sandy and as you can see the tree is leaning into the electrical service and a few branches are touching. Also the roots are coming up at the bottom left hand side of the trunk. I advise contacting the power company to see if they will remove the tree for free, sometimes they do.

An evaluation of this ash tree in MN revealed the following. First, these appeared to be an old lightning strike scar. Second, some long term rot appeared in the crotch of the tree. Third, the branches on the south side of tree indicated they were dead/dying. This tree was recommended to the owner for further evaluation and possible removal.

Ash tree damage 2.JPG

Ash tree damage 1.JPG

Ash tree damage 1.JPG

I found the article Tree Dangers by Nick Gromicko a helpful summary of that section of the course material. The author covered dangers from the tree roots. In addition he addressed structural defects of trees that one needs to be aware of. Lastly, Gromicko listed 5 tips that will benefit a client. Too often trees get ignored until it is too late.

Image of a silver maple. Pruning has been done to help keep limbs from overhanging the roof. Tree appears to be in good health. Maintain pruning as needed. Maples are great shade but do require maintenance.

Reviewed a picture from the photo gallery of a power line running through an evergreen tree. Tree will need to kept trimmed back to help prevent contact of the power line and branches. Trimming should be done by the local power company only,

This is a photo of an orange tree in my yard. This is an example of a tree with multiple trunks. The trunk to the right split because it was growing horizontal and became too heavy when oranges grew, so I had to cut it. There are only two trunks that are currently active on this tree. What I found interesting was that I noticed the two parts of the crown that correspond to the two trunks bloom and produce oranges at different times. When oranges are on the tree, they are usually on one half or the other. Most of the damage to the trunk is from my kids playing around the tree.

For this assignment I read “Drones and Inspections” by Nick Gromicko, Thomas Zachar and Kate Tarasenko.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly known as drones, are legal for people to fly for recreational use. The FAA previously did not allow drones to be used for business or commercial use, unless that business had a waiver from the FAA called a Special Airworthiness Certificate. As of August 29, 2016 the FAA now has a sUAS (small unmanned aircraft systems) pilot certificate that is required to use a drone for business or commercial use. People or companies operating under a Special Airworthiness Certificate do not need to get the sUAS pilot certificate and can continue to operate under their previous issued certificate.

To be eligible for the UAS pilot certificate, you must meet the following requirements: be at least 16 years old; be able to read, speak, write and understand English; be in a mental and physical condition to safely operate a small UAS; and pass the initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center. The pilot must pass the knowledge test every two years to keep the certificate valid.

More information regarding UAS rules and certification can be found on the FAA website at https://www.faa.gov/uas/.

I got the drone pilot certificate a few weeks ago. If anyone wants more info or has questions I’ll try my best to answer them.

This Mountain Ash (Sorbus aucuparia), a medium size ornamental tree may have been planted too close to the house. The tree has already grown over the gutters of the lower roof, and is close to reaching the upper roof, which is quite high and steep, making gutter inspection and cleaning difficult and potentially dangerous.
Without pruning the Mountain Ash can reach heights of 40 feet or more, with regular pruning the size of this tree can be controlled and held at or below its current size.

Toadstools, puffballs, dwarf benches and mushrooms are just a few of the names given to describe some of the fungi that can be affecting the health of your trees.

Types of Tree FungusFormerly thought of as a group of simple plants lacking chlorophyll, fungi are now classified as a separate kingdom of living organisms. Fungi cause disease when a spore germinates on a susceptible host under the appropriate environmental conditions, producing hyphae (threads of fungal tissue) that enter and feed on the host.

Since fungal tree diseases cannot be treated in a curative fashion, management efforts must focus on prevention. The best defense against tree pathogens is a healthy tree. Tree and site selection, watering during periods of drought, and regular maintenance fertilization are the keys to maintaining healthy landscape trees. Fungicides are technical materials that control certain foliar/shoot diseases by inhibiting the growth of fungi when applied preventively (before infection occurs).

Images.jpg

Root systems are vital to the health and longevity of trees. All plants need water, oxygen, and nutrients. These are most readily available near the soil surface where precipitation infiltrates the soil and oxygen from the atmosphere diffuses into the porous soil. Most roots, therefore, especially the important, tiny, absorbing roots, proliferate near the soil surface. The majority of a large tree’s roots are in the upper 18"-24" of soil. When space is available, roots can spread two to three times further than the branches. Tree roots are often associated with situations that cause damage to structures, pavements, and utilities. In almost every case, roots are not the cause of the problem.

Good information which is probably not given much consideration by inspectors except in cases of the most obvious problems.

The attached picture is of one of several Western red Cedar trees on the property, this being the smallest. Clearly there are multiple trunks, the crack being near the ground. There is included bark visible at the crack. You could assume that since each trunk is close to the ground there would be less likelihood of cracking or splitting, but there is just as much possibility for infection, disease, and cracking/separation as though the trunks were up higher. At the left of the picture are some “reddened” needles which could indicate an issue with the trees health, although the area of the reddened needles is at the side of the tree with the most direct exposure to the sun and it’s not uncommon for this species of tree to “shed”. In either event, this tree will require regular inspection.