How to Recognize Theft of Electricity!

Originally Posted By: Joe Tedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How to Recognize Theft of Electricity!

Look here for more: www.joetedesco.com/gallery/TomE

--
Joe Tedesco

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Joe,

Could you be more explicit? Is there a meter before this illegal connection?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

dvalley wrote:
Joe,

Could you be more explicit? Is there a meter before this illegal connection?

All of the images in the gallery show the way in which thieves steal electricity. All of them were also metered.

In the picture above the meter is on the top and is out of view.

These images were sent to me by an Enforcement Officer from Arizona.

They are hard to believe!!

Fully and clearly expressed; leaving nothing implied is not always possible in messages such as this one.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco

Originally Posted By: jpope

Ahhhh. . .

This would explain why the meter wasn't turning on an inspection I did in the desert this summer.

Two A/C units and a swamp cooler were cooling the house and garage. When I did the panel inspection, the meter was still. I assumed something was wrong and recommended eval by the Utility Co. as the meter is their responsibility.

Wow, I wonder how that turned out ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe,

Our inspections are limited. We can't typically see behind the meter. How else might we notice this condition if (for instance) the home is unoccupied having almost no load?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

If the building is supplied with electricity, you could look for a a receptacle outlet so that you could plug in a load which can be any type of equipment. A small electric heater may be best because it may pull more amperage than a lamped pig tail.

If the meter doesn't spin there's a problem! ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Calling the utility company is the best bet. I'd suggest asking them for there "Rule Book" so that you can read the part that deals with the subject of this thread.

If the seal has been tampered with, that too could be a sign that something fishy is going on!

If there was a squirrell who found its way through an open knockout and was behind the meter, that has been know to cause outages:

--
Joe Tedesco

Originally Posted By: dfrend

When working in DC, I have seen some theft of electricity the GHETTO way. You name it : Extension cords from vacant buildings, wires actually tied into the service lines with extension cords run throughout. You think the power company would notice the orange extension cords running back and forth accross the alleys. icon_biggrin.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com