How to Use the Inspection Fee Calculator

How to Use the Inspection Fee Calculator

More Helpful How-To Videos

James Weller#0709170 Vero Beach, FL & Petoskey, MI
Short Essay

In looking at the InterNACHI galleryI was immediately drawn to the Log Home Inspection gallery and it brought backgreat memories for me.
A subject very interesting to me isthe inspection of log homes. I built log homes for years and knew the manydifferent styles of log home building along with the many different obstaclesthat came with the proper construction of these homes. As an inspector I feel competentin my abilities to inspect these homes based on knowledge base of constructionof these homes.
My suggestion to anyone that hasnever had anything to do with log home construction that would like to be ableto inspect them, would be to find a log home builder that would enjoy sharinghis/her knowledge with you. I would also suggest reading a few books on loghome construction. This will give you the ability to have the knowledge ittakes and feel confident that you are delivering a thorough inspection to yourcustomers.
I had an inspection on a Pine Log constructedhome once and right away walked into a mess. I had noted that the logs had manylong cracks and splits in them and there was raw unstained wood exposed. Pineunlike cedar tends to crack and split. Most of the time they don’t bother athing as this is the nature of pine. So what does that matter? These cracks can be small and short or can be2” plus wide and run the length of the log. If the crack is on the side of the log nearthe top, it can fill up with water during a strong rain. This can cause rot andlog overexpansion from freezing in the colder climates. This example is exactlywhat I found. Two bottom logs had very large cracks and had a western exposurethat in Northern MI equated to rain exposure on that wall. The cracks filled upwith water in the late fall and then froze splitting the logs in the winter. Thisissue wasn’t know till spring when the rains came and water leaked into thehome. What made me look at the exterior logs for a second time were waterstains I had seen on the living room carpet. Kind of like forensics.
If the cracks had been filled andstained when first noticed this problem never would have occurred. But themajority of log home owners don’t know about these things and most builders arehistory once they get paid. So there was nobody to keep up on the home.
Just food for thought before you inspecta log home without knowledge of their construction.