HRV Installation

What, if anything is wrong with this HRV installation?

TIPR 026.jpg

TIPR 026.jpg

In order for it to work as a HRV it must be receiving the air from outside not in the location of the same room. This is just going to work as a filter system only.:wha?:

That is an entry level stripped down builder’s “appliance”

-Has it been balanced…Ask for balance report.
-Needs a loop trap on the condensate drain.
-No flex duct anti-vibration collars between hard duct and unit duct collar
-All duct joints should be sealed with foil tape or high velocity duct sealer
-That unit needs to be sloped at least 1/8" to the rear to prevent condensate from running out access door
-Don’t see any insulated flex duct running to the exterior…
-Manufacturer’s instruction booklet not in place in plastic clip on upper front right of access door
-depending on the date of manufacture, this unit may be under manufacturer’s recall for fire hazard
-This model had a minor interior design flaw that I find in 8-9 out of 10 units- when you open the acess door, you may find a small hanging rod that is unhooked from one of the internal motor driven dampers designed to operate in tandem (they blocak cold air from the exterior when the units is not running and is a “wait state” until a sensor, timer, dehumidistat calls for ventilation.

Any more pictures?

The HRV system may have been set up to distribute fresh air through the larger furnace/HP/AC duct seen above the unit. Although meeting code, it is not the best installation method…2 separate duct systems are better for both fresh air and heat flow adjustments.

Thanks Brian

I don’t see these units very often. I did note the fact that there was no insulation on the duct leading outside though.

That’s the only picture.
Cheers

Must be a homeowner installation; definitely not by an HRAI (Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute) trained/certifed installer!!

I believe this may be the link for the manufacturers instructions.

http://www.indoorairquality.net/Venmar/constructoinfo.htm

What model is this one in the picture?

From the above website:

Apparent sensible effectiveness at 0°C (32°F)…81% at 31 l/s (66 cfm)

Apparent sensible effectiveness at -25°C (-13°F) …80% at 37 l/s (78 cfm)

Notice that the manufacturer has not said efficiency in the above claims but still uses the % symbol…They all do that in their brochures to mislead the consumer! They do not include true tested efficiency but APPARENT (it looks like) sensible EFFECTIVENESS…(what does this grab-all general term really mean?..effective at what? catching flies in the incomng fresh air??) This practice is included in my 85 item list called “Smoke & Mirrors in the energy field”