HVAC inspection homework

This is homework for the Master class inspection program on HVAC systems.

Upon inspection of this 2019 furnace, I observed the condensate drain pipe to be plumbed directly to a floor drain. The floor drain is showing signs of rust and deterioration. Floor tiles around the drain are cracked. Repair is recommended by a qualified professional.

I would not put that in the HVAC section. The defect is with the broken tile and rusted drain grate. The HVAC is fine.

2 Likes

A rusty drain grate and a cracked floor tile in a utility room, I’m not sure either would even make my report. Looks like normal wear and tear to me.

3 Likes

That looks like a single wall flue pipe, if so, that goes in the HVAC section.

2 Likes

Clearance to combustibles (line-set insulation)

Broken tile would absolutely make it into my report… just not the HVAC section

Serviceman’s switch, electrical, improper clamp on NM cable approx. 8" below switch

Likely more with better view photos

2 Likes

It would not make my report either. But if it did, drains go in drains and floors go in floors.

2 Likes

I blew up the photo for a better look. Agreed!

2 Likes

So you wouldn’t report roofing shingles that are near end-o-life? After all, it’s just normal wear and tear!

1 Like

For me, it depends on the age of the home and overall condition. Sometimes, there are just bigger fish to fry.

But not on a roof. I always report nearing, at or past life

Lol, roof shingles keep water out of the home. Big difference.

1 Like

How technical you wanna get about that??

The only way that tile goes in my report is if it was really loose and a possible trip hazard in a walking path. Or if the house was new construction possibly.

2 Likes

That’s your opinion, and you’re entitled to it.
See how you feel after replacing that/those broken tile(s) a few times for pissed off clients.

1 Like

What caught my eye was the tiles adjacent to drain tiles. The cracking was radiating to the next course.

3 Likes

MINIMUM 3 DAMAGED TILES…

2 Likes

I’d still be writing reports from last week if I put every cosmetic defect in, lol. Maybe I need to start inspecting a higher class of house?

2 Likes

From what I can see, still not a reportable problem.

2 Likes

Lot’s of professors grading homework… :thinking: :+1:

2 Likes

Guess you need a better software!!
LOL :wink:

1 Like

Exactly why Ben and Nick want them to post here.
Benefit of experience and differing real life opinions!

2 Likes