HVAC inspection homework

Lol, I do onsite reporting so only catch a few things. :wink:

2 Likes

At least you’re man enough to admit it. :+1:

1 Like

Definitely an opinion piece. I’m funny about tile versus other cosmetic issues. I report most cracked tile, wood floors with cupping and carpet that does not appear to be serviceable as well as more significant drywall damage.

3 Likes

Of course…for the course. Prepares you for choosing the most bestest answer, or the wrong one. :wink:

2 Likes

So… we’re back to “Definitions”.

Oops, lookit the time. Gotta go pick up the pizza and beer!

To be continued… I’m sure.

:wink:

3 Likes

I kinda like this game!

Who’s putting this in their report? I’m a no if there is no displacement.

2 Likes

I would document it for repair. It needs to be sealed to prevent further damage and displacement. :thinking:

6 Likes

Probably not if there is just one, but several cracks yes. To be sealed as a preventative measure.

2 Likes

No buts in this game. What is in the picture only! :grin:

3 Likes

Depends on what kind of mood I am in! Some days I am a real asshole. Dog shit in the yard, fence gates padlocked requiring me to heave my ladder over a six foot fence, lock box code is wrong, waist high grass in the yard, missed lunch, coffee was bad, flat tire (like today) etc etc.

4 Likes

Lol, I was hoping I wasn’t the only one.

4 Likes

Seriously though, these issues mentioned here are very borderline. They will likely not come back and bite you and the negative impact on the home is marginal. I like to think in 5 year increments, meaning what could happen within the next five years.

I also consider my client’s needs or expectations as well as the overall condition of the home.

4 Likes

Yep, it all has to be looked at as a total picture. When I do a unkempt 100 year old home, I tell my clients up front that I’m not going to be looking for and/or documenting minor, trivial things. I tell them that is a waste of their money.

3 Likes

Interesting, as I hi-jack another thread. I had a client hire another inspector this week because I was not available. He was NACHI certified (my recommendation). After the inspection, my client called me and said he was not comfortable with the other inspectors report and worked it out so I could come and do the inspection.

I had a chance to preview the other inspectors report. It was ok and within the SOP but it was light on defects IMO. Consequently, my client’s expectations were not met by the other inspector. I think the other inspector failed to set expectations.

Therefore, I reset the expectations before going out and my client is thrilled with my product. You’re smart to set those expectations up front.

2 Likes

Thank you gentlemen, I really appreciate all the points of view and comments.

4 Likes

LOL, we took your thread and ran! But, there is likely good info in here. Best of luck!

Sorry for the reroute of your thread!
Out of curiosity, is this something you have to do to get the CMI designation? I see these types of posts now and again but not very many so how many do you have to do?

1 Like

If it is the Public sidewalk, generally no if only that one single crack.
If the private walkway to/around the home, yes, as an informational note, unless there are multiple or heaving sections, (this is Minnesota, don’t-cha-know)!

1 Like

Maintenance item

I do the same as Scott.

2 Likes