HVAC smell

Originally Posted By: jonofrey
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What causes that stinky sock smell with some AC systems? I seem to notice it when switching to AC after the furnace has been operating for several days or more. Also seems to be more prevalent on systems that appear slightly oversized for the areas that they serve. For instance, a 2 ton unit serving only master bed, bath and closet.

Any ideas?

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Dude, what’s up with your new avatar? Is that a new marketing campaign to attract more business? icon_eek.gif

I have come across this a few times but I could never actually see anything in the readily accessible areas of the system. My thought was always that there may be an accumulation of some "biological matter" in the plenum from moisture. I always recommend a routine servicing by an HVAC tech.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

John:

Perhaps the duct work is in need of a cleaning. My home is only 3 yrs old and I do not have that smell when making the transition from heat to cold.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

pdacey wrote:
Dude, what's up with your new avatar?

Steelers lost to the Pats.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: cbottger

If I was a betting person Which I am not I would bet a dollar against a Dog Doo and hold the stakes in my mouth that the smell you are experiencing is associated with water some where. Plenum from a leaking A-coil pan. Condensation in the ducts from lack of insulation. Leaking Humidifier. Water Penetration of the Concrete slab into the ducts. or any other 100 ways to get moisture into a A/C system. Clean Ducts don’t smell

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

jonofrey wrote:
Steelers lost to the Pats.

I see......... nice legs.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cbottger

Yes I really like his avatar also from the shoulders down icon_eek.gif

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.