HVAC Video Course

Has anyone taken the new HVAC on-line video course being offered to NACHI members for $199.00?

Overall, was it a bebeficail class?

Specifically, I am interested in knowing if the course shows how to effectively measure for CO leakage that might help to determine if there are any heat exchanger defects.

If it does, does the class show how to perform the test, what testing equipment to use and how to use the recommended testing equipment.

I want to get away from the show and tell routine of testing the register closest to the furnace and the area around the furnace with a CO tester which tells you nothing about whether a heat exchanger is defective.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

Huh?

If you have any questions give Ben G. an email.

Hi Scott,

I’m looking for feedback on the HVAC course. Have you taken the course?

After talking with HVAC code inspectors and HVAC contractors over the past two years they have finally convenced me that the only way to accurately test a furnace for CO in relation to a defective heat exchanger is through an anlysis of the flue gases. And even then it’s not definite.

My research on this topic and my personal inspections of over 1500 furnaces where I’ve tested these theories has comfirmed what they’ve been saying. I don’t have the time to get into all the details as it’s a laborous conversation and a conversation about this topic on a BB doesn’t work.

I started a personal mission over two years ago with an objective to convince myself of the best and most fool proof way to test for HE defects (beyond the limited visual inspections). At first you get the standard responses that likely 99% of the HIs use to inspect HEs. But once you start digging and asking lots of questions (and they realize you’re not going away) it’s amazing what the “experts” say about HE defects and testing.

To date I know of only two ways to accurately inspect a heat exchanger (beyond the typical mirrors and visual inspetion) and they both involve some disassembly of the furnace which is beyond our SOPs. Now I’m looking at getting into the flue gas analysis so I can at least be somewhat accurate when telling my clients about the condition of their furnace (heat exchanger).

So what I’m looking for is information on what the NACHI class covers in relationship to the testing of the flue gases and if they show how to use the testing equipment.

There’s three NACHI CMI inspectors in my area who have asked me to set with them and discuss HVAC testing (and provide some basic training) and I told them to wait until I get a handle on this flue gas analysis thing. That’s why I’m asking about the NACHI course.

Kevin

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about the mis-spelled word. That kind of stuff irritates me as well. 17 inspections this week and 10 on the books already for next week and I’m trying to get caught up on a whole bunch of miscellaneous stuff as fast as I can and I get fat-fingered when I’m in a hurry.

It sounds like the course is too basic for what I need. In my last class I learned about two great ways to inspect for defects, but the techniques involved dismantling part of the furnace. That doesn’t do much good when you’re performing inspections.

I’ve also been considering a boroscope.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Kevin

If you can not read a response to your post I do not think you should be testing for CO.

Is my post invisible???

Scott blows you off I answer your questions and you ignore my post.

http://www.escoinst.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductID=135&ProductCategoryID=1

I looked into this course and certification when I went for my EPA Universal Certification. It is part of the NATE HVAC Excellence certifications. You can take the test at most some HVAC supply houses for certification.

Thanks Scott!

Kevin