Hybrid water heaters heat for less

Sorry short commercial at start… Enjoy … Roy

It’s about $2,000 installed and it is very efficient. But if you have a natural gas water tank, you wouldn’t switch.

Yes that is exactly what they said .
If you are in the country or do not have natural gas this looks to me to be a great idea .
Some one posted this water heater when they first came out .
They are now just coming to Canada.

I got a quote aat the Fall Home Show here for what appears to be the exact same tank…$3,200.00. Not a great deal.

Where does it get its heat from…the interior heated house…so your electric heater in that area is supplying the heat for water…not a great deal.

Looked at the concept about 15 years ago. These are for down south where there’s a cooling/dehumidification climate and lots of free heat.

You have to remember that this guy is a reporter not an EE expert. He’s been fed stuff from who…the vendor…take it from there.

Gee I guess you Need to read a bit more ,
Now when you have a water heater the heat goes into the home ,
You tell us you heat your home for almost nothing .
Cost in USA is
Rheem EcoSense
40 Gal. 12 Year Hybrid Electric Water Heater with Heat Pump Technology ](http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202552735/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Model HP40ES
Internet Special $1,258.20 Home Depo USA

And you being Close to USA and are able to do every thing the Insulation cost should be well under $50;00 and $25;00 for car Gas total cost would be under $1,400;00 well short of $3,200;00

That was my next question.

If I put one in my basement and it had to pull heat out of the local area that would reduce the heat in the building envelope.

That would mess up any savings calculations and now you would have to pay to reheat the same air during heating months.

Makes no sense to unless the unit is not contained within the building envelope.

Can anyone show otherwise?

This would be a no brainer in you have electric water heater and it actually pays back in 4 years but I don’t see how that is possible.

I advise my clients against investing in a $2,000 water heater to save energy since the return on their investment, in terms of reduced energy costs, nil to nothing. By the time they broke even…it would be time to buy a new one.

And that’s somewhat “down South” where the there’s a lot of free heat!

Gee James I thought I read on one of your posts you do not give advice .
I guess I made an error sorry … Roy

I’m a short 5.5 to 6 hour drive from the US border and I don’t even know if they’ll have a Home Depot at the small US border town.

So how much will the average homeowner have to pay for installation?

So it does take some heat out of the Home in the winter and In the warmer time of the year it cools the home .This tends to balance out and for 12 months it helps to remove Moisture from the home .

I’m a short 5.5 to 6 hour drive from the US border and I don’t even know if they’ll have a Home Depot at the small US border town.
Gee you have no idea about Home Depot in the USA you must be the only canadian who does not shop in the USA.
I thought you where just a little more frugal then that.

I don’t, in a home inspection.

An energy audit report, however, is 100% advice with projected results for each recommendation.

Thanks for straitening me out Much appreciated … Roy

No problem.

Along with each recommendation and its projected result in energy reduction, a good analysis should also include ranking the recommendations based upon the expected return on investment.

The window salesman is not lying when he says his new double paned windows are more energy efficient…but at $900 per window and a 2% reduction in the heating and cooling bill, the new windows will probably need to be replaced long before the “break even” point.

Energy efficiency analyses need to help the client target their dollars with the rifle…rather than the shotgun…approach.

It doesn’t take too many times for people to get burned, or know someone who has, before it begins to reflect poorly upon the entire industry.

In your “neck of the wood” the costs of energy may be different but here in this part of the world electricity cost about 106 times what natural gas costs. So unless the cost of Geo is 1/100 th the cost of electricity (running electric driven heat pumps) Geo is not going to sell.
A GJ of Nat gas cost $3 to $5 while a Kilowatt hour of electricity costs $0.07 to 0.04. One GJ = 277 kilowatt hours therefore .07 or $0.04 X 277=($19.39 or $11.08)/4=4.84 or 2.77 times the cost of Nat gas.
Reculculated on Feb 3/11.

I agree and the information said the same thing.
But If you are in an area with No Natural gas I think this is the way to go.
We in Ontario have natural Gas ( thank you Alberta ) in the larger areas but Many people do not have natural gas.

Roy I made a mistake in the calculation It should have been 1/2.77 or 1/4.03 the cost not 1/106 or 1/8th.

Some corrections based on current prices from these websites:

http://www.energyshop.com/es/prices/ab/gasAB.cfm?ldc_id=438

The cheapest gas they list is from $4.94/GJ + $6.91/month service charge to $6.99/GJ. An average price/GJ would be about $6.00.

http://www.enmax.com/easymax/residential/questions/Current+Prices/Current+Prices.htm

Electricity rates are about $.08+/kWh when monthly service charges are included.

Therefore, in gas terms, electricity costs: 278 kWh/GJ x $.08/kWh = $22.24/GJ…about 3 to 5 times the cost of natural gas. This is only the cost of the energy delievered to your house and does not take into account the efficiency of the equipment that uses the energy.

Most standard gas fired hot water tanks have energy factors (EF) in the .48-.64 range while electric tanks are .85-.93.

To heat a volume of water to a temperature that would require 1 GJ of gas heat to be transferred into the water would cost approximately $10.00 (using the higher EF-.60) while using an EF of .90 for electricity, the same volume of water heated to the same temp would cost $24.71…only 2.5 times the cost of gas heated water!!!

With the Ecosense heat pump hot water heater, the EF is 2.0 so the cost to heat the same volume of water would be $11.12…11% higher than the standard gas water heater.

Good info Thanks Brian .
I wonder can you give us a comparison to Propane and an electric water heater .
Thanks … Roy

Don’t know what your propane and electric rates are there. I have found propane rates have quite a large range in the country with the highest being in the Maritimes.

Here’s a chart put together by a former colleague of mine:
http://www.conservens.ca/resources/reports/Domestic-Water-Heating.pdf

I have told him a couple of times that that, on average, the instantaneous tankless %'s should be marked down 7-9%.

The original of this chart was put together by “Yours truly” in 1993
http://www.conservens.ca/resources/reports/Space-Heat-Survey.pdf

I now believe that the gas fireplaces should be given a lower average efficiency by about 10-15%.

Also, the efficiency of the average home being built here is much closer to an R2000 home, and in some cases meeting/surpassing the R2000 standards, as knowledge of R2000 techniques has passed to average builders here. Since January 1, 2010, all new homes must have an energy audit done by a company independent from the the builder. Every home must achieve a rating of 80 or higher. I did a new home inspection about 10 days ago; it had a rating of 85, which would come close to being R2000, if it were in the program.

Our government, through my old department, has a “Performance Plus” program for new homes. A new home may eligible for rebates up to $7,000!!

"What rebates are available?
*Rebates begin at $3000 for a new home with an EnerGuide rating of 83 or 84. Homes with a rating of 85 **to 87 will receive $5000, and homes with an EnerGuide rating of 88 and above will receive $7000. Solar ready **and solar equipment rebates are available, and you may also qualify for rebates from Nova Scotia *Power."