I added this inspection tip and would like comments.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

If you have an assistant, it is better to split up and have your clients go with your assistant (assuming your assistant is confident in his duties). Have your assistant dress better than you. When you arrive, have your assistant introduce himself to the clients while you carry all the tools. Your clients will attach themselves to your assistant and you will be free to get the inspection done.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Reverse Psychology Nick. I like it.

I personally do not have an assistant and don't care to ever have one.
I don't mind if my client hangs all over me.
I enjoy showing them every detail of their new dream home and teaching them how to maintain their home more efficiently. 99% of the time, clientele will want to hover over you because they are investing hundreds of thousands of dollars into a home they know nothing about. It's like being a teacher to students.
The only time I request that my client not hang over me, is at the SE panel. They can hear me just fine from 3-4 feet away.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: ltrower

David,

How many of them follow you into the crawl space???

Lee Trower ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Quote:
How many of them follow you into the crawl space???

All of them follow me to the bsmt. The is a very crucial area for every homeowner. I have them follow me (hover over me) as I'm evaluating the foundation area. I'll show them the operating mechanics of their home.
I'll teach them how to properly maintain their heating components and how to keep everything in tip top shape.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: rray

My Clients can follow me to H*** if they would like, and I’ll continue to answer all their questions, even up there. However, since I use teams of inspectors, they usually start out following us around but then they can’t decide which one to follow so they just ask us if we have a tape measure (I carry a 50-footer just for their use) and they go off to do measurements.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Patrick Dacey

Just my two cents worth:

I like to have the client follow me through out the inspection. When the client is with me for the duration of the inspection I almost never get a phone call asking questions about the report. If the client isn't present or just sits on the couch while I'm doing the inspection, it's almost a guarantee they will call with questions.

The ones I really like are the young first time home buyers that have both families there during the inspection. And Uncle Fred is a retired carpenter. WOOHOO! big fun. ![eusa_dance.gif](upload://s9dv24YwSSRLNpgOOSxL1BkwUQ9.gif)

--
Patrick Dacey
SouthWest Inspections
San Antonio TX

Originally Posted By: jschmidt

Some days I am in the mood for having people follow me around and some days I am not . Since I am the assistant right now I am often the distractor for my sponsor. I hope when i one day am all grown up and doing inspections on my own i will have an assistant who can keep the clients busy when its necessary .

One more thought , I have heard a few times from realtors and past clients that my team is liked because we are considered to be thorough (two or more people on an inspection creates that impression) and we answer their questions . So , for better or worse , being accessible to the client is good marketing .

James of Texas

Originally Posted By: kluce

I don’t mind if the client walks with me through the inspection. The only problem I come across is when I trying to finish the report and the customer continues to talk. Hard to finish the details of the report. Sometimes when I feel it is appropriate, I finish the report in the truck or tell them I’ll have to finish the report at the office and deliever the report to them within 24 hours. They don’t mind the delievery in most cases because after the the inspection, they feel they know everything about the house. I can give the report to the client on the job site about 80 percent of the time.

Just a note: I have problems with realtors more than clients. With some realtors, they like me but feel they always have to put their two cents in through out the whole inspection. I love the realty companies that have the policy not to be there for the inspection. ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

I think that would be almost unbearable . icon_cry.gif

jschmidt wrote:
I think that would be almost unbearable . ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

What would be almost unbearable? Not having Realtors at the inspections?

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Hey all,

Looking at this thread, maybe it's just me but I don't care if the client is with me, measuring, or chatting with the Realtor or seller. They can follow me everywhere or nowhere, bring all of their friends who are contractors or wannabees (most are usually harry homeowners) and ask any and all questions they have. I take the time to explain what I am doing prior to starting, and let them decide what they are going to do. I am working for the buyer, so as long as they don't purposely interfere with me doing my job, they can do pretty much as they wish.

As far as having an assistant, I used to use a team and now I don't. I get fewer callbacks (almost none), and on the few I get, I know that I have looked at the item in question personally. I can't do as many inspections by myself in a day but after figuring in the overhead of the team I come out about even anyway. Now it's time for a beer. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: kluce

I like using the words “True to the house” and “Providing a service to the clients” Something I think we all know but don’t always say.

ismetaniuk wrote:
I explain to my clients that I cannot be thought of as " working for you the buyer " because it reduces my credibility as an impartial inspector reporting things the way they truly are. I " work for myself " performing a service based on experience and professionalism. They " The Buyer " are simply paying for what I have to report. Simple as that!!!

An interesting concept. I and my employees, on the other hand, work for the person who hires us, typically meaning, of course, that we are "working for the buyer" and no one else. There are several reasons for this:

(1) First and foremost, the person hiring me is hiring me to "tear the place apart" basically. There's really no other reason for a home inspection as it exists today. Therefore, I'm going to do everything I can for that person hiring me, typically the buyer but sometimes a seller prior to listing.

(2) Who pays me matters not one iota in defining who hires me and who my Client is. Sometimes I get paid by the buyer's Realtor, the seller, the seller's Realtor, or a family member of the buyer, anyone except the buyer. And, of course, in pre-listing inspections, there is no buyer yet.

(3) The only way that I could truly be impartial is if I were to weigh the pros and cons of what I report relative to the buyer and the seller, and might even have to report the pros and cons.

Example:

GFCI outlets recommended for kitchen, three bathrooms, laundry room, and garage.

Pros for buyer: They are life-saving devices and the seller is paying for them.

Cons for buyer: Buyer may have to learn how to test the outlets and will have to take time out of busy schedule monthly to test them properly to ensure that they are still providing their life-saving functions.

Pros for seller: They are inexpensive enough that caving in to buyer's demands won't set seller back a significant amount of money.

Cons for seller: It's still money that has to be spent to close the transaction. Seller also may have to take time off from work to be present for the electrician to swap outlets.

There. That would be impartial.

I don't do that, and I don't know of any home inspector who does. There's simply no way that I can be "impartial" when someone hires me to do what I do as a home inspector as the job exists today.

ismetaniuk wrote:
This gives credence to all parties of interest that I am not exaggerating deficiencies on the Buyers behalf. I do not want to perform an inspection for a Buyer who feels I am working for them and that I should make things up in my reports. I've had this many a time and have politely told the Buyer that I am not comfortable in writing what they want. I also offer to stop the inspection since they may be dissatisfied with me.

WOW! WOW! WOW! Certainly must be a regional thing here. I have never had anyone accuse me of "exaggerating deficiencies" on anyone's behalf. And I have never had anyone ask me to "make things up in my reports." If I did, perhaps I would change things. I certainly don't think that just because I work specifically for someone implies that I would exaggerate or make things up. WOW!

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

hey Kirk , what i meant was it would be i think almost unbearable to have a realtor following me around putting in their two cents worth , unless they really knew something and werent just trying to turn me their way . I think we can all agree , if y’all dont mind a sprout like me saying so , that a skillfully written , impartial , honest report is the best thing for all parties involved , even if some realtors dont think so . one thing i’m just dying to tell the next realtor that calls us deal-busters is that they only add value to their proffession by allowing themselves to be made accountable to an impartial third party (like me).

theres a time and a place for everything , though.

james from houston texas

I guess it’s a regional education thing. The individual brokers, the California Association of Realtors, and the San Diego Association of Realtors tell their Realtors not to get involved in the home inspection itself. The worst I have ever had is one Realtor who told me that she had the same thing in her home and was going to go home and have it taken care of. I love my Realtors out here. They let me do my job, they do their jobs, and they refer me all the time.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Quote:
The worst I have ever had is one Realtor who told me that she had the same thing in her home and was going to go home and have it taken care of.

I get the same reaction from realtors here. They say" Wow, really. I didn't know that. My house is the same way. I'm going to tell my husband to have this corrected." I laugh.

To all,
I enjoy being followed and I highly recommend it. It's sort of like teaching a personal 2 hour class on how and what to do in order to maintain their dream home. I show them what to do in order to keep the house up to standards and more energy efficient.

I remember one inspection I did in Lowell. At least 17 relatives had arrived to see the new potential home. I couldn't believe all the cars alongside the road. It looked like a funeral procession.
The seller came running outside telling the realtor that he does not want all these people in his home. I don't blame him. So the realtor huddled up with the relatives and gave them the bad news.
So I started explaining the exterior of the house to the buyers and here comes the crowd. They all followed. I felt like I was giving a course to a classroom of people. Several of them started asking me questions. I just excused myself politely and told the crowd that I can answer the buyers questions only. I have limited time here and if they want to hold their questions for later and have the potential buyer call my office for further questions or details.

Follow me people... I enjoy showing you everything about your new home.
You would be amazed at how much homeowners DO NOT KNOW about maintaining or upgrading a home.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Can i rather sheepishly admit that my homeownership has complimented my HI skills and that my HI learning has complimented my home ownership ? Funny story about the family following you around . My sponsor and i have had similar expiriences .

James