I could use comments on this one

Gerry, can I have permission to use that quote? :slight_smile:

Be my guest :wink:

Regards

Gerry

Thanks, I know I needed to many times.

Gerry, it really is not messed up (in theory), it is fine.
Gutter heat tape is SUPPOSED to run down the downspouts. What point would it be to melt the ice in the gutters and roof only to have a frozen solid downspout?

See pages 16 & 17 in these instructions. Easyheat is one of the biggest Mfg of this stuff:
http://www.easyheat.com/Content1/PDF_Files/_files/adks_om.pdf

At least these links give me something to go on.

Pete, my issue is not the tape in the gutter/downspout it is the conection of the electrical conduit to the downspout, given that gutter back up all the time from ice, leaves the kids balls etc, that connection could easily allow water into the J box.

BTW that product (which I have installed myself) also comes with a molded plug on it and the manufacturers installation instructions also clearly state that the tape should not be cut, That strip should be plugged into and exterior rated GFCI protected outlet, or a single dedicated switched soffit outlet.

Regards

Gerry

Gerry, I’m with you on this one.

I don’t see what’s shown in Bob’s picture as a valid way to enter the downspout in any of the install directions I have seen.

If it’s heat cable, it’s supposed to be in open air and/or spaced with the special clips that go in the downspout anyway.

On that note I do agree Gerry. As I said before, I really don’t like the idea of the heat tape in the sealtite.

As a note, there is heat tape that is hard wired. Typically this is commercial grade stuff and comes with special sealed connectors for the feed wire to a weatherproof box.

Hi Pete,

It’s a shame Harry the homeowner doesn’t buy the good stuff or pay to have it installed professionaly :wink:

Regards

Gerry

I recommended that a Licensed , certified Electrician look at it.

I didn’t know heat tape was submersible. I always thought that you wrapped the stuff around what you didn’t want to freeze.
Thanks guys. Learn something every day.

There is a distinct difference between pipe heat tape and gutter/roof de-icing tape.

With the conduit (required, in the Chicago area) bonded to the downspout, I would say this is REALLY extending the “all wires in conduit” Chicago situation a little too far.

Plus, there is significant risk of water entering the conduit.

Is there a check valve that is listed for use in electrical conduit? :mrgreen:

I say it is wrong and dangerous.

Defer it to a licensed and insured electrical contractor for his opinion (and so that he takes on the liability!).

Hope this helps;