I Guess I Need ANOTHER Tester

Originally Posted By: brian winkle
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Oh well you can never have too many toys…er I mean tools. icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: brian winkle

Actually the good thing about these testers is that they will never give you a ghost reading since they don’t pick up induced voltage. Also they don’t use batteries.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I don’t need much of an excuse to buy more tools. . .

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: fbartlo

with that pesky extra wire…

I carry a volt-ohmmeter in case of weird situations. It has come in handy in situations such as one case where water leaks had occurred above wiring. Also inspected one house, and a thunderstorm rolled in, a brownout occured, and water was getting into the panel. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

brian winkle wrote:
Oh well you can never have too many toys...er I mean tools. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

i've got a l.e.d. volt stick that does a cool trick. if you push the clip and touch the hot, it lights up (as it should), then i tell my newby that i've been elicrticuted so many times, that i have 120vac in my blood and skin. then i pinch the clip, touch my finger and bing, it lights up. to prove my theory, i pinch the clip, touch his finger with the blade end, and nothing. then we laugh, he's amused, and i tell everone else it's because the l.e.d. lights up with any a/c or d/c voltag and when i touch my own finger, it's reading the d/c voltage from it's own batteries. then we laugh at the newby. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: fbartlo

(chuckling…) Good one, Jay.

That's along the lines of how I test 2-hole outlets for polarity using a basic LED probe tester. Gotta remember to use that line ...

Originally Posted By: jhugenroth

I prefer the Knopp. I think it was about 35 bucks at the electrical supply house.