I have a negative opinion about your member. What can you do to assist?

Our opinion is that we had a HORRIBLE experience with Seacrest Home Inspections. We understand that Seacrest is a member of your organization. Can you help us with this problem with Seacrest?

In June 2015, Paul at Seacrest inspected a house we later purchased. His report dated 6/26/15 said “The roof was in good condition other than one small area on the drip edge that is allowing water to get to the fascias. This area needs repair.” Several months later, we saw water spots on a ceiling nowhere near the “one small area” referred to in Paul’s report.

A roofer came to look at the roof and to try and find the issue causing the water spots - and said the roof has several leaks - and we need AN ENTIRE NEW ROOF - at a cost of OVER $50,000! Other roofers - including one Paul himself sent after we told him there was a major problem that he missed - said the same thing - we need an entire new roof. The roofer Paul sent offered to replace the roof at a cost to us of about $55,000. One roofer wanted almost $75,000 to do the job.

We have made multiple calls and sent multiple emails to Paul the owner of Seacrest Home Inspections - and he is now totally ignoring us.

This has been a NIGHTMARE for us! We need help.

I would consult an attorney.
The company has been in business for 4 years and as of yet, hasn’t filed their annual report, which is due by May.
He hasn’t renewed his other company, GEN-X CONTRACTORS LLC, either.

Where is your home located? I am in Palm City.

http://www.seacresthomeinspections.com/thermalinspection.html

Hard to believe a man of that experience would miss such a thing as a bad roof.
What size roof would cost an amount of $55,000? My house would cost about 5.

His website claims he is a licensed roofing contractor also. Sumting fishey going on here!

I certainly agree with that.

A tile roof can easily cost that down here.
Not to mention, depending on the value of the home, hurricane retrofitting may be required…

Since there was mention of a drip edge, I assumed that it was a composition roof covering which in my mind, $50,000 is ridiculous.

I would suspect an older tile roof as well.

Drip edge is use on tile roofs too.

There is another bad review on Yelp besides the OP’s review. This guy is not only a roofer, but a GC and a provisional plans examiner. Oops

Pardon my ignorance on tile roofs. Not too many in Central Maine, if any at all.

It’s no wonder Paul won’t respond to the OP. The OP is all over the internet trashing him. Yelp, Angies List, Yahoo… I’m sure Paul’s attorney has him on a leash for the time being.

FYI…this is June 2016 a whole year later. Your inspection is based on the condition at the time of inspection and without anyone here to defend the HI you are the only one laying down accusations. Also what do you expect a roofer to tell you?..in many cases the roofers don’t even have a license because the industry is kinda unregulated…and any home that needs a $50,000 roof has got to be a doozy. Also due to the nature of you location and winds involved it is possible you experienced these leaks after such an event…but not sure what resolution you figured you would get on this forum and bashing the HI online…If you believe you have a case the seek an attorney and fight for your rights…about all you got.

1 Like

I would suggest you do the following:

1. Remove all negative ratings/reviews/posts from anywhere you have posted them.

2. Send a registered letter return receipt requested to the home inspection company stating your concerns.

3. If no resolution can be obtained using that method, and if you are being truthful with your statements, contact an attorney.

4. An attorney will more than likely recommend that an inspection be done. If so, contact Jeff Hooper as he is an expert witness as well as an expert inspector.

As you can see, you will get varying suggestions depending on where someone is located.
Roofs, and especially tile roofs, which judging by your estimates you must have, or possibly a shake roof which is going to be replaced with a tile roof, do not fail in a year, unless there was a severe weather condition which caused it, in which case, your homeowners insurance should cover the loss.

There are some inspectors who tend to put the burden on someone else or recommend repairs when a replacement should be the recommendation.
The inspector for your home is a licensed roofing contractor as well as a licensed GC. I doubt he would jeopardize his licenses just to close a deal. Then again, maybe he had a bad day or an employee did the inspection.

Contrary to statements above, roofers are required to have a license as well as being regulated here in Florida. You even had a roofer, if we are to believe you, that was recommended by the inspector, which recommended replacement.I don’t know of any roofer that is that cut-throat!

You have been given some good advise here. Before you smear an inspector/roofer/GC, you better be sure.

I wish you luck…

Like Paul A indicated… a year later… Was there mention in the report to take action about the roof condition? Was said defect indicated in the Summary of the report? Did you have a qualified contractor evaluate at least the area mentioned? Only asking as there are usually 2 sides.

What did the Seller have to say when he was confronted about the lack of Disclosure? A leak as bad as you are indicating does not just show up overnight.

A sellers disclosure is useless…especially the way it is worded here.

Was this home inspector referred to you by a real estate salesman who received a sales commission when you bought the home? If so, you can consult with an attorney to see if that salesman can be sued for a negligent referral or fraud in your jurisdiction. Usually, by naming both of them in the suit, one of them will be willing to work with you to throw the other under the bus. Both will have insurance companies who will be anxious to settle. If you do not have the evidence to successfully win a lawsuit, then you should keep your mouth shut before he does.

Obviously, but my point was to illustrate that quite very possibly the OP went straight to attacking the inspector (buddy roofer friends advice… “inspector should have seen it”) versus the entity most culpable in this drama… the Seller!

A thought from a very experienced inspector.

I had a physical in April 2013, the Doc said I was in good health.

In May of 2014, I had a heart attack and triple bypass.

How can that happen just 1 year down the road.

The roof the same way. Was the 1st Doc wrong OR did conditions change?