I hope this gets easier!

No argument from me!

1 Like

It’s always smart to have a back-up. But I don’t go through the trouble or expense of having multiple phones with me. I do however carry a couple of battery back-ups just in case.

1 Like

I agree it’s like not having a spare tire on your truck. I figured if I ever have a malfunction with my phone I could use my old phone and just throw the Sim card in it and be good to go.

With a little bit of skill and knowledge about lighting and device settings, an inspector with a modern phone can get excellent photos. I cringe at many of the photos posted on this forum that are poorly lit, out of focus, low resolution, side-lit, and/or have poor composition. These are often accompanied with a question such as “ what is this?” It is user error, not a device shortcoming.

My backup plan for a damaged or dead phone is another phone. I have three fully charged, loaded with the day’s templates and also an iPad if those fail. I have separate phone numbers for two of them, one has no number , it is just for inspections. I don’t need the cloud to inspect a house. If for some hypothetical reason Spectora were to go away suddenly during an inspection, I also own Home inspector Pro, which I haven’t used for a couple years now, but it’s ready if needed.
I have back up thermal imagers, cameras, flashlights, ladders, hand-tools, even two back-up drones… charged and ready for service. I even carry a change of clothes and clean boots in case I fall in a mud puddle or a crawl space is ridiculous. Bring on the unexpected. Avoid the need to drive back to finish an inspection at a later time.

5 Likes

Well damn, I wonder why professional photographers don’t just use their phones?

The quality of the pictures is not in question. The implication was that taking pictures with a “regular camera” was an unbelievably archaic way to do reports. This disregards any advantage that exists with “regular cameras.”

It is good that you have a backup, Many do not plan for equipment breakage. Additional phones is great if you can then hook them up to your network. Swapping sims and cards won’t help if the software is installed on the phones internal memory.

2 Likes

I always have one iPhone with the days current templates already loaded and an iPad for back up. The template can run perfectly fine with no cellular data.

3 Likes

Good thing we’re not professional photographers and only home inspectors. My $3000 6D might be overkill :rofl:

4 Likes

Point taken. That wasn’t my intention. I should have said “I can’t believe inspectors are still taking pictures outside of their software environment and then putting those pictures in the report later.” It doesn’t matter the type of camera in my statement.

That said, 20 years from now when the new guys are using virtual reality goggles and holographic images and I am still using my old tried-and-true method, someone will be telling me to get with the times, lol. :rofl:

4 Likes

I take a lot more, but most are CYA pics as a way for documenting the inspection. Walking down one side of the exterior, for example, I could take as many as a dozen. I can see how using a body cam for this as you and @mwilles do can be beneficial. 90% of my pics are for my own records anyway and don’t end up in any report.
I use a camera, my phone, and a tablet. I currently use HIP-6 on my desktop and the tablet has the mobile version which I use for most of the report, then upload it so I can see it on the desktop when I get back to house to complete the report. Uploading the pictures only takes a few seconds and choosing which to add to the report doesn’t take much time either. Like many do, I prefer to review the pictures on my desktop monitor where I can see them better, and make edits if needed (like lighting, contrast, cropping, etc…). I have a hard enough time typing on my stupid phone as it is, thus the tablet, bigger keys and screen. LOL.

My wife bought me a monocular with a phone mount attachment. It was supposed to be for taking pictures while big game hunting but I think I might take it with me on inspections. I shot this drive thru coffee house through my back window while sitting at the dining table using my phones camera. The building is over a mile away. Pretty neat.

Yep, I carry 2 pairs of coveralls, extra gloves, 3 pairs of shoes, Knee high BOGS (for mud/wet areas) extra pants/shirts/hoodies/socks too. Always be prepared. Oh and plenty of extra batteries. :wink:

3 Likes

That is a fair point, Robert. I agree with you. I was careful to say “excellent photos”, not professional photos. I’m taking 150-300 pictures during an inspection to clearly and effectively show defects and issues that need repair or attention. I’m not trying to sell these INSPECTION PHOTOS for money. I actually DO that, but it is a separate business, Virtual Realty Photos.
I do real estate photos and virtual tours as a separate service, and for that I have DSLR and 360° cameras and lighting and lenses of various types. But on a home inspection, I take INSPECTION PHOTOS for the report. And for this the Iphone 13 Pro Max (and 12 Pro Max and 11 Pro Max) are all up to the task when used correctly. As a professional photographer and 1/2 Asian (hey, It’s not racist if I say it) I know a little about taking pictures.

3 Likes

I have big fingers and struggle to type on the phone as well. A few weeks ago I finally decided to try out the Google talk-to-text feature installed on my phone. Absolute game changer. I didn’t think it would work well but it is extremely accurate, even when I am inspecting in below zero weather and my face is frozen, lol. It even picks up on nuances like when I say “S Trap” it doesn’t do something stupid like “ess trap.” Give it a try, I can’t believe I didn’t earlier.

3 Likes

You must not have a Minnesota accent!!
After being away from Chicago for over 40 years, mine (Chicago accent) is still very evident!

2 Likes

Just started inspecting, and read on this form to bring extra clothes. On my first inspection I made on lap around the exterior and was covered from the waist down with dog shit. Still can’t figure out how I pulled that off.

2 Likes

Ya’all are sick!

1 Like

Talent!..

2 Likes

I really hope you double check your report writing when you get back in office. There is always an ah ha moment.

I tried the iPhone camera with drop into reports, seem to have trouble with clarity in crawlspaces, also still had to review the whole report back in office and edit pics. I tried once then went back to my camera and then processed report back in office. Always have to edit pictures. After 24,000 individual inspections since 1989, I take pictures on site as well as write my notes (you never know when you need written proof in court cases, though I have not needed that as of yet). I pre do the inspeciton report (Templates) off listing information so I am ahead of the game with that then I put in what is observed when I get back in office. Still a little time consuming, not like you young whipper snappers with reports done on site, I just do not want a call back. My Clients love it, the good Realtors love it (remember there are only 1-5 out of a 100 good realtors, you just have to find them). I am sticking to my tried and true method, so I spend an hour or two proofing the report, so what, I am protecting my rear end.

2 Likes

I’m definitely not to the point I can publish onsite, probably never will be. I spend a fairly significant amount of time on the desktop still. But my pictures are normally already in the report. One exception is when it is near or below zero outside. Then there is no time for monkeying around, lol. Get the pictures and get moving!

1 Like

Yep been there done that. Up in mountains here it gets cold. Stick with your system, publishing on site after having to deal with a client asking questions or a Realtor jumping in, i need to go over my notes back at the office.