I keep finding 14 Gauge on 20 amp breakers!

Ok good to know! So then these are 14 gauge conductors? Which the 20 amp breakers should not be utilizing the 14 gauge conductors

Or are these 12 gauge? Sorry for the questions I just want to make sure I’m doing it right

12 Gauge on the 20A, and 14 Gauge on the 15A…looks ok to me.

Alright guys, I just looked at my panel and did confirm that 12 is on 20 and 14 is on 15 I just need to pay more attention to the entrance romex. The yellow is 12 which is going to the 20 amp breakers and the white is going to the 15 amp breakers which is 14 gauge. I really appreciate everyone’s help! Now I can put this to rest. The 12 and 14 gauge wire look very close in size but just a slight variation, plus I just followed the wire from the breaker to the entrance and that told me the answer. Thanks again everyone! Sorry to make myself look like a fool.

You learned something today. Now just continue the trend.

BTW, older NM cable did not have the different colored sheath for different sizes.

Yes I did and won’t make the same mistake, I’ll just pay a lot more attention!

Just keep asking questions, there are quite a few knowledge contributors to this forum who want to help. :cool:

And photo’s always help.

Thanks Robert!!

Looks like most of the outer jackets are yellow - that’s 12ga wire - the white jackets are 14

X2, yellow jacket means #12.

Yep I know for sure now! Thanks gentlemen!! I really appreciate all the help and guidance.

Although many manufacturers have loosely adopted WHT=#14, YEL=#12 and OR=#10 there is no standard or requirement to do so therefore you may find that the color code doesn’t always work for identification purposes.

Keeping in mind that what you “residential” inspectors should see is where the grounded (neutral) is the same size as the ungrounded conductor. The only case where I can think otherwise is for SE- Style U and SE- Style R.

Otherwise in Type NM-B Cable both the ungrounded (hot) and grounded (neutral) conductors will be the same size. Just remember this is not the case again for service entrance cables when talking about residential applications.

Also in many cases you have a nipple between the interior cabinet and the outside meter and those conductors also could be differing in size between the unground (hot) and grounded (neutral) conductors. This is permitted based on neutral conductor calculations within the NEC…but we do observe some minimums in sizing so again it is important to understand the difference.

Paul that’s good to know, I appreciate the insight!