I missed it, but the Cable TV guy didn't...

Just remember that the money saved can cost you much more in the future. That is why I always pay a professional to do repairs if I feel that I am liable. They can assume the liability not me.

In this case who do you think the buyer is going to call if anything happens in that attic again?

I did the repair today. It went smooth and easy. Photos going to the local truss company. I was able to determine how it broke also. The A/C installers nailed 2X2 horizontal beams across the trusses down the center of the attic to lay the main trunk duct on it. On this particular truss, the act of pounding a nail into, broke the truss post. Now it’s glued and screwed. Heavy Duty Liquid Nails, and many 3" coated deck screws on each side.

In my neck of the woods, I’d need to sign and seal a letter and sketch for the repair.

The third picture shows the repaired truss, a “king or queen post” design (depending on who’s website you visit), between others that are “Fink” trusses…Any more pictures of other truss arrangement here?

1. For the PE’s and others with truss design experience, is there any reason for this and how common would it be?

2. Would this truss be under forces that would cause the king post to snap?

3. Was this truss a mistake installation?

I noticed that too. Very unusual to have Fink style trusses throughout, except at that one location where it is a Queen Post style. May have been changed to accommodate the mechanical equipment, and if field modified might also account for the cracked member.

See attached diagrams for the basic ones

No, I have no other photos to post, but yes, one king post with many other fink style. It’s my guesss the post was snapped during the A/C install.