I need some advice

I have bought and started to read the book “Priciples of Home Inspection System & Standards”. I have not started my classes yet, but thought I would get a jump on my education. Anyway, is this a book I should sit down and read all the way through or is it a reference type book? I mean, do I need to memorize everything or, do I give it a good read, understand, and keep for reference?

When I took my classes that was the book we used. We were required to read certain chapters prior to class ( homework :frowning: ). Since then, it has been a good reference book. Since you already have the book, I would recommend you go ahead and start reading it. Never hurts to get ahead :wink: .

A great inspector doesn’t know everything,… but knows where to find the answers when stumped. And this message board is invaluable with the collective expertise of its members in all areas of this wide encompassing industry.
If you don’t have some kind of building, construction, or mechanical systems back ground you should read everything you get your hands on. It will make you that much more confident in the field, especially in areas that your weak in.

Book learning is great I still do it non stop.
But a big advantage to get lots of experience and knowledge is to get out with other Home Inspectors .
The more inspections the better .
I have taken out two and they are still going with me when it can be aranged .
They are both over 20 Inspections.
If you do 20 inspections at $50.00 an inspection you will have learned as much or more then a $3,000;00 course .
Taking you along will extend his inspection time by about one hour so this is a fair charge.
Every thing will be diferent then what you can learn in Class.
I mentored with my son about 50 + best thing I ever did.

…Cookie

Every body learns differently. Depending on your age and memory ability. You may only have to read the book once. If your like me I have to read a book several times. For me that is only the beginning. I learn and remember better when I can touch it, break it, and fix it.
The book will become the first of many you will have to read to keep up to date. As said in a previous post it will become part of your reference library.

I learn something new just about every Inspection, and when I don’t know the answers. I ask the guys at the INACHI message board.

Good Luck
Patrick
http://www.wisemanhomeinspections.com

Its amazing how later on in life you can go back and review all your old study stuff from school and wouldn’t you know it you’ve learned something new.
I always feel like I’m a cop something new and exciting everyday. hopefully without the violence.

I second Peter,
Step 1 Join INACHI
Step 2 Read, read and read some more. Both this messege board and books.
Step 3 Go on as many ride-alongs with working inspectors as possible.
Step 4 Complete your coursework at the same time.

Anytime you can take something away from reading it is definately woth the effort. I wouldn’t say you should start memorizing every little detail while you are just starting out, but you should familiarize yourself with what is right and wrong. Learn to recognize things that just don’t seem right and then go back and find the specifics why. Don’t try to educate your client at the time of the inspection on things you are not sure about. Save all that stuff for your report. Don’t try to offer onsite reports until you are completely comfortable. If you say something to your client and you are wrong…you have to do a hell of a lot of explaining.

Read as much as you can! Anyone here will tell you they probably read a book, website, manual, or article almost every day. Education in this field is a never ending thing. Getting started now will only give you a leg up when you start your classes and you will be able to find answers to questions faster.

Good luck with the classes and always read something new every day.