I want to move in USA from Canada as an Inspector

Hi everyone ! I’m an home inspector in Canada, Quebec and I do own my inspection firm. My wife and I were thinking about moving into USA. I would like to know if I would need more schooling/education to be an inspector up there. My english is not perfect but I made about 100 english inspections + english report in Quebec. What’s the market down there ? Do you think someone would hire me ? Should I scratch from zero and start my own busness up there ? Well thanks guy to let me know if Im beeing realistic or if I should not consider beeing an inspector in USA.

Sebastien

I always wonder what people are thinking when I read posts like this.

For starters, unless you are already a US citizen, somehow… you cannot just “come” and live in the US unless you wish to be undocumented illegal alien. You won’t be able to work in the inspection industry long without proper paper work.

4 Likes

First off… we are “Down Here”, not “Up There”!

3 Likes

Well I know all that. Imagine yourself If I had all the documents/visa/work permit and I was asking that question.

I’m looking for help, not for insults or opinions about my english skills, I said previously I’m not perfect.

2 Likes

If you are serious about it… start doing “your own research” on the topic. There are many posts about starting an inspection business from tools to marketing. USA is a very large place with many different markets for home inspectors. Your experience will vary greatly from that of others depending on the effort you put in. Like in most places, unless someone takes you under their wing and shows you the ropes and introduces you to people, etc… it will be very tough. It will take 3-5 years, if you do everything right, to start making “reasonable” money. You can be #1 inspector, technically speaking, but if nobody knows you nobody is going to call you. It takes a while to get your foot through the door.

5 Likes

The USA is big, lots of choices to live and work. I’m sure you’d be able to find work if you choose the right market, but there is a ton of competition, so prepare for long road to success.
The HI industry is on fire in most of the US right now, but that can change anytime.

3 Likes

I’m dead serious about it and thanks for your answer. I know what is like to start a company in that field I did it here and I understand It won’t be easier somewhere else. And what about getting hired ? Would you think somebody could hire me ? Do you think the fact that i’m not a native english speaker would be a problem ?

I was thinking about Florida since there’s many many Quebecers buying in this area. I guess It could be easier to start there. What you think ? Either its on my own or with a local HI company.

The housing market is not favorable for home inspectors in most areas right now. It is a seller’s market and in many areas there is an oversupply of inspectors.

I would normally say to start your own but in your circumstance, it may be better to be an employee until your English and understanding of the culture are solidified.

4 Likes

Florida has more inspectors than grains of sand on any beach.

Most shops are 1 man operations, so being hired isn’t as easy as that, but some are looking for new hires. We have a State HI License though, so you’ll need to get that first.

3 Likes

Thanks sir !! I appreciate your answer. And I was thinking the same (beeing hired first + getting more comfortable with my english) as homes are build diffirently in Florida compare to Quebec. In my opinion, it might not be a big problem cause homes here are probably pretty more complex. We go from -40 to +40 every year so I guess they’re build differently.

Thanks, Ill look for that !!!

Do you mind if we keep in touch if I have more questions since your are in Florida ?

I am amazed at how many home inspectors are in Florida. Is there really that much action down there? Florida has the most NACHI members of any state and over double the 2nd place state, Texas.

1 Like

Everyone wants to retire and make extra money as a home inspector in Florida. People even wish to come from as far as Canada to live in the paradise known as Florida :smiley: It’s just like all the stay-at-home moms with a realtor license. Why not, it’s easy, NACHI will get you up and running in a jiffy! Sign up today!

@rlewis5, here they come!

2 Likes

I would Go anywhere else, but the fact that there’s many french Canadian buying in florida, I tough It would help me.

1 Like

Oh no not more of them again !

Welcome to our forum, Sebastien!..Enjoy participating. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

And, consider contacting some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to the area that you are thinking of moving to in the U.S., and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring or hiring.

Here is the link for CMIs: Find a Certified Master Inspector®

And the link for CPIs: Find Certified Home Inspectors Near You - InterNACHI®

And Mentors: Home Inspector Mentoring - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Also, you may want to take advantage of your Education Team at education@internachi.org for specific questions e.g. 15 Steps to Become a Successful Home Inspector - InterNACHI® and InterNACHI® Master Class for Home Inspectors .

And there is the Helpful How-To Videos - InterNACHI® for many other things. A

5 Likes

Thank you sir !

1 Like