I was corrected by a real estate agent yesterday

It is true that many real estate listings I see in AZ have changed their language to the primary bedroom. Somehow it has been deemed inappropriate to use the word master when referring to the bedroom. I have yet to hear anyone actually use the term in conversation and I certainly don’t plan on it. Just a few more years until retirement!

1 Like

They call the Master Bedroom an Onwer’s Suite on all of the new builds in Florida now. I wonder if that’s where the Bank sleeps?

1 Like

NAR changed the “official” language during the George Floyd thing and went into an interesting history of the term.

I changed my wording to follow suit and now call it the “primary” bedroom/bathroom/closet. I figured, so what? If there is one client who might be offended by my use of the old term, it’s worth it to use the new term. I mean, it’s not that hard to say one thing over the other, is it?

Edit: I said NAR, but it was actually the Houston Association of Realtors, HAR, that changed their wording and since then many, many others have followed suit. For example, supposedly they now say “Primary bedroom” on HGTV and other shows like that.

2 Likes

Are you a Home Inspector, Realtor or just a Troll?

1 Like

Funny.

Just stating my position, not saying anyone else should do the same. Not disparaging anybody in my comment. Yall can call it what yall want; just thought I might expand the conversation a little.

You speak English right? Anglo-Saxon language, very racist. If you subscribe, everything around us has a linear route directly back to slavery. As I said, it is a trap. It traps the mind.

1 Like

You miss the point. The term is used universally and is not assigned to a specific group or used exclusively for another group. All my life I considered master bedroom the term which identified the owner’s suite. Shall we call it that? Another trap.

Yep, throw it in the pile with other words such as
Black board
Black list
Black top
White board
White wash
Etc.
It all can be misconstrued if you subscribe. (Words such as this have been scrapped in many workplaces and schools). Once again, the English language is obviously racist.

2 Likes

Wait, just trying to understand what you are saying here.

Blackboards were used by black people, while whiteboards were used by white people?

Your brains are slowly turning into a messy mush. “Master” simply means “main” or “head” or “primary” . The term master bedroom first appeared in 1900s, not during slavery. Yes, you could call a slave owner a master because he was the [main] person in charge of a slave, so what? In plumbing we have master valves, they are main valves. The term did not originate [100%] to mean a slave owner! do your own research, stop believing media brainwashing! You people (yes, you!) are going berserk, seek medical attention :slight_smile:

8 Likes

What a fool! It is a hierarchy of bedrooms, NOT people! By your logic (or lack thereof) a “Masters Degree” is racist or a “Master Plumber.” The post about the difference between a noun and an adjective obviously didn’t reach you.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Jeannie called Tony Nelson “Master”.

5 Likes

Oh crap, I am a CMI??? What does that say about me, huh???

7 Likes

With that definition, I would assume the ‘Master’ bathroom to be the hallway bathroom, as it is the one “primarily” used by all house occupants/guests/visitors. So, where is the offence to the Hallway bathroom being called the Master Bathroom? I would suppose there is none, thus the evidence of the ‘WOKE’ term itself being rascist!

2 Likes

From Webster’s:
master

adjective

Definition of master (Entry 2 of 3)

: being or relating to a master: such as

a**:** having chief authority : DOMINANT

b**:** SKILLED, PROFICIENTa prosperous master builder— Current Biography

c**:** PRINCIPAL, PREDOMINANT

d**:** SUPERLATIVE —often used in combinationa master-liar

e**:** being a device or mechanism that controls the operation of another mechanism or that establishes a standard (such as a dimension or weight)

f**:** being or relating to a master from which duplicates are made

4 Likes

No, you were harassed by the REA with liberal wokeism

5 Likes

I completely understand the nuance.

The mind trap is this.
Control. If you can control the English language, you can subjugate anyone who uses this language. You can control children and adults by dominating their actions and thoughts. Every time I use the word master bedroom, I am supposed to stop and check my privilege, acknowledge systemic racism and make an adjustment. i.e. Control. This feeds the theory were are a racists nation by default, racist by birth and racist in thought. Sorry, I will not subscribe.

5 Likes
  • “But if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.”

George Orwell, 1984

3 Likes

4 Likes