I was corrected by a real estate agent yesterday

According to these articles

The word master bedroom has been used since the 1920s when it was featured in a Sears home catalog. The word is intended for the master of the house or the owner of the house. Realtor groups are just moving away from the term master bedroom and, instead, use “primary bedroom.”

The national organization’s president, Vince Malta, said in a statement in June that there was no reason that real estate professionals could not use the term since there was no evidence of its historical connection to slavery.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/realestate/master-bedroom-change.html#:~:text=The%20national%20organization’s%20president%2C%20Vince,its%20historical%20connection%20to%20slavery.

That’s one subtle arrow…

1 Like

“Compensating” for something!

I don’t care which side of the debate you are on, a picture of Barbara Eden gets a thumbs up from me.

9 Likes

Hey man, don’t be such a spatz. It’s copacetic, dude.
Get outa antsville. Them words, like yo’ threads, change from time to time. No need to get your undies all in a bunch.

If it’s important to someone else, why not? We all breathe the same air. No biggie.

(Claim that “Master’s Bedroom” originated in the 1926 Sears’s Catalog, at time when Jim Crow was still in rather stark use.)

…and the Democrats were Jim Crow and the KKK in the 1920s.

2 Likes

chambre principale

1 Like

Glad you’re amused. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Amazing find congratulations!

1 Like

As a real estate agent and inspector in the great woke state of Colorado, I have been informed that we are liable for disciplinary action for using terms (I’m only using them to show that we are not to use them) like “Jack and Jill” bath, “his and hers” sink or closet, “Mother-in-law” suite, “bachelor” pad, or even descriptives like “walking distance” which is just a stick in the eye to non-ambulatory people…

Now we just need new words…(that will become deeply offensive in 100 years)

3 Likes

Disciplinary action from whom?

The Civil war started April 1961 at the Battery on the harbor in Charleston SC. A very long time later I would be Born just 2 miles from that spot. But a very short time later, in September 1862 in fact, the Emancipation proclamation was issued.
Did you think that the Civil was was about Slavery? Look at the dates.

And did you know that the Emancipation proclamation only freed the slaves in confederate states, not the slaves in states loyal to the union? That’s right, they kept their slaves up North.

" Lincoln didn’t actually free all of the approximately 4 million men, women and children held in slavery in the United States when he signed the formal Emancipation Proclamation the following January. The document applied only to enslaved people in the Confederacy, and not to those in the border states that remained loyal to the Union.

But although it was presented chiefly as a military measure, the proclamation marked a crucial shift in Lincoln’s views on slavery. Emancipation would redefine the Civil War, turning it from a struggle to preserve the Union to one focused on ending slavery, and set a decisive course for how the nation would be reshaped after that historic conflict."

2 Likes

Got you by a year

https://home.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyculture/slavery-cause-civil-war.htm

The new [Confederate] constitution has put at rest, forever, all the agitating questions relating to our peculiar institution — African slavery as it exists amongst us — the proper status of the negro in our form of civilization.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner–stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery — subordination to the superior race — is his natural and normal condition.

— Alexander H. Stephens, March 21, 1861, reported in the Savannah Republican, emphasis in the original

1 Like

Choice quote:
Mostly as a result of tensions over slavery, a new party, the Republicans, arose in the North in the 1850s. The Republicans made prohibition of slavery in the territories their chief issue. The party was the first in the nation’s history to draw its support from one section only.

1 Like

The idea of the parties flipping is frequently mentioned but that doesn’t make it necessarily true.

1 Like

The community flagger is active again: deciding to censor certain posts in the above thread. Stand up for freedom of social media.

1 Like

I don’t let others dictate my speech. That is the definition of fascism and is contrary to the foundation of Western and American values.

2 Likes

:+1:… … …

1 Like

The number one dictionary definition of the word master has nothing to do with slavery. The woke will twist see what they want.

I wonder, at what point in time did they drop the " 's " off of master? I could see a big difference if it was always called the “Master’s Bedroom” as opposed to the “master bedroom.”

Anyway, I just refer to it as the main bedroom and the rest as bedroom 2…3…4 etc.

2 Likes