I was corrected by a real estate agent yesterday

I’ve been reading residential drawings since the mid-80s it’s always been master bedroom.

Maybe it’s regional if it’s Masters. I’ve never seen a drawing that said master’s bedroom.

3 Likes

Neither have I ever seen an “s” or " 's ". Something the “woke” agents need to consider and have it brought to their attention if it ever brought up. :wink:

1 Like

I just nip all this crap in the bud and say something like “second floor left side rear bedroom.”

6 Likes

That’s how I used to do narrate it, too, Martin. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It is your business. Call it what you like.

Superior Being Sleeping Quarters”!

3 Likes

We can replace all of the words in the dictionary, but until the hearts and minds of people change, it doesn’t matter. What we call a bedroom is the least of our problems.

1 Like

Though she was a juvenile heartthrob for me, I could never come to grips with a white woman confined in a bottle when a genie was an Arab thing, and transportation of the bottle was obviously human trafficking!

That was a “Black” time in my life…

1 Like

From the comments on this thread, it’s evident there are strong opinions about the terminology. I’m in a service industry, and since it’s a non-issue for me either way, I just use whichever term is preferred in my market.:person_shrugging:t2:

And that is exactly why all this shit exists…
Your not avoiding the problem, your part of it.

1 Like

I’m with you Michael. A good home inspector should not be closed minded, but be open to see the big picture. How can you understand a water leak unless you know building science. I was told by a client (a black Jamaican) that it’s not called a Master Bathroom. So, in order to appease his point of view (he hadn’t paid me yet), I told him that in the report he’d see it being called the Main Bathroom. In speech I often called it Master (because that’s what I’m used to), while in print I call it Main. Just easier to get along with people and not hurt their feelings, especially if they are a paying client. Not something worth fighting over. It’s just words. There are much more important things to fight about. At the same time, if someone wants to fight about it, then I gather it’s important to them, and they should be allowed to voice their opinion.

1 Like

Imagine the looks I get when I refer to something as a water closet !

Larry seems to like what he sees also…!

1 Like

Very fishy story. Welcome to Baltimore (I live here).

" They also invested in a tankless water heater, recessed lighting and other improvements that the family’s lawyers say raised the value of the home."

The family lawyer doesn’t know squat about appraisal but he would love to take your case to court. A tankless water heater and recessed lighting will not raise your property value. The first appraisal (whom they are suing) gave what seems like an accurate appraisal. The second appraisal is out to lunch with inflated housing prices. Doesn’t have jack to do about race.

That’s one woke agent I’d never use for real estate help.

2 Likes

Well ya!..

1 Like

Very fishy. The first appraiser valued the home closer to homes in “black” neighborhoods. It was even valued way below the inflation rate between 2017 and 2021.

It’s not just a Baltimore problem.

1 Like

I have lived my whole life as the minority in a 70% non-white area of Atlanta. The property value issue is real and exists not only for people of color but for my property as well. The reasons are multi-faceted but are only looked at through one lens. We will move the needle once an honest critical debate is politically acceptable again. I can tell you this, the so called “saviors” are exacerbating the problem. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.

I can tell you from personal experience where property values are rising in a community near me. What did the local municipality do? Charter schools, access to mental health services, improved roads, improved services such as trash collection, investment in policing. Basically, lower crime, school choice and improved basic services has raised all boats.

1 Like