Icynene: first good look at it.

Roy,

I hear ya brother…done my share of 4" Rigid along the ceilings in 250’ runs…on a 45’ scaffle…no FUN…I’ll stick to what I do today versus back when I had to do all that…

Oh yeah…**Transite, **a completely fireproof composite material made of 12-50% asbestos and cement …YUK…those days are GONE

Icynene™ is a Canadian product developed in 1987 and introduced to parts of the U.S. about four years ago. There are currently about 30 licensed installers in the U.S., primarily in the Northeast and Northwest, but also scattered as far south as North Carolina, Texas, and Oklahoma.

The foaming agent is a mixture of carbon dioxide and water. This eliminates polyurethane’s HCFC-related environmental problems but also means a lower R-value. Like polyurethane, Icynene is foamed into wall cavities, but the resultant open-cell foam is soft, not rigid. In fact, it is marketed as much for its air sealing characteristics as its insulation properties. A recent development with Icynene is a second formulation that can be foamed into closed cavities.